Third Party Press

Rare StG magazine

jack944

One of the rarest of the MP type magazines. U construction. The back part is crimped over and welded.

Attachments

• ump1.jpg
    ump1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 132
  • ump2.jpg
    ump2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 120
  • ump3.jpg
    ump3.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 126
  • ump4.jpg
    ump4.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 117
Is the main difference from any other MP44 magazine is that this one is stamped StG 44? I don't know much about the different variations of MP44 magazines.

Ch113,

Main mag body is usually a two piece affair welded down the midway seam - similar to an AR mag.
Look at the back on the pictured mag - see how it is folded over and spot welded -
It would have required a different assembly process - possibly quicker, or requiring of less skilled labor than the two piece hidden weld.
It was a late war design, so perhaps the motivation was: time to assemble, cost and skill or materials required, all mitigators to the reasoning behind the late-war decision process.

Same reasoning changed the shape and look of the MP44 itself, simplified, by necessity.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the reason we don't see many of these mags is the factory or machinery that made them in this fashion, was destroyed as opposed to falling into Allied hands.

Some circumspect info. but hopefully this inspires you to do your own research on why this mag is desirable to MP44 collectors.

The codes are St G 44, qlw: A Czech company, most possible Adolf Grohmann & Son, Würbenthal/Süd, CZ. Made very late in the war. This type was also used by the Czech army (after the war) - then stamped with a lion and 46.

Ch113,

Main mag body is usually a two piece affair welded down the midway seam - similar to an AR mag.
Look at the back on the pictured mag - see how it is folded over and spot welded -
It would have required a different assembly process - possibly quicker, or requiring of less skilled labor than the two piece hidden weld.
It was a late war design, so perhaps the motivation was: time to assemble, cost and skill or materials required, all mitigators to the reasoning behind the late-war decision process.

Same reasoning changed the shape and look of the MP44 itself, simplified, by necessity.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the reason we don't see many of these mags is the factory or machinery that made them in this fashion, was destroyed as opposed to falling into Allied hands.

Some circumspect info. but hopefully this inspires you to do your own research on why this mag is desirable to MP44 collectors.

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming this is mentioned in the collector grade book, Sturmgewehr! I'll have to look that up.

other sources

I would suggest Senich's Assault Rifle book and Claus Espeholt's site for good pics and info on these.

Military Rifle Journal
Back