Third Party Press

DWM 1916 Acquisition

PrayingMantis

I'm trying out this Picasa web albums thing, it should allow you to see the pictures in higher quality compared to posting them here. To view the pictures click the link below.

I bought this DWM on Gun Broker, buy it now of $500; I bought it before the seller had even finished loading all the pictures. It was an impulse, but I think it was worth it.

The gun is all matching, but the receiver had been cleaned. At first I thought the receiver was over cleaned, but after looking at the other in the white parts, its not that bad of a cleaning. I put some dirty cosmoline on it to take off the shine, and you can see the comparison of cleaned to uncleaned receiver in the pictures.

The stock is nice, the proofs are present and clean, but its scratched. It almost looks like someone took a wire brush to it. Doesn't bother me though, since the proofs are still strong. No other evidence of it being messed with, not to me anyway.

The gun seems to be a bringback, since the firing pin is clipped. It hasn't been shot in a while, the bore is clean and strong, but there is a single large pitted spot. It appears to be a pretty typical mid war gun, showing a lack of proofing on a lot of parts (mainly recoil lug, barrel bands, and take down disc). I feel it came over with the pin clipped, sat around somewhere safe, then was picked up by a collector who cleaned the receiver and replaced the broken back screw.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/cm13637aef/DWM19161393d?authkey=Gv1sRgCO3Jl66T48KRLg#

DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN 1916

Receiver SN 1393d
Barrel SN 1393d Bi 274
Front sight SN 93
Rear Sight SN 93
Sight Slider SN 93, 93, 93
Ejector box SN 93
Trigger Sear SN 93
Front barrel band SN 93
Rear barrel band SN 93
Trigger guard SN 1393
Trigger guard screws SN 93
Floor Plate SN 93
Follower SN 93
Stock SN 1393
Handguard SN 1393
Buttplate SN 1393 d
Bayonet lug SN 93
Bolt body SN 1393d
Extractor SN 93
Safety SN 93
Cocking piece SN 93
Bolt sleeve SN 93
Firing pin SN 93 (clipped)

I agree, a fine rifle for a measly $500!

Looks like it had been neglected for awhile and the previous owner took to cleaning the rust off, a little aggressive but not terrible. Seen much worse jobs..

The buttplate & recoil are probably a good indicator of why they went to the trouble they did.

Still, a nice rifle, especially for the price!

Paul, glad you agree my risky purchase paid off. I had some serious buyers remorse for a while, but when I got it in my hands my mind changed. I'd take neglected before overcleaned, but I'm not complaining.

PM, '16 is a good year; one of these days I'll line up my '16s and take a group shot.

Military Rifle Journal
Back