Third Party Press

Gew 98 spandau 1918 receiver is stamped b s and h

Mr Haney

This last weekend at a small gun show, I was lucky in finding a Gew 98 that is not common. It is a Spandau 1918 With these added markings on the receiver B S H.
Paul and Bruce were a big help to me in telling what I really bought. The finish on the rifle is really nice original about 90% or better. The bore is mint!!! I think rare to find in a rifle that fought in WW1 , The Weimar period, and WW11. The rifle is all matching except for the bolt which is a all matching BNZ bolt and the sear. The trigger is unnumbered. The stock is a two picece. With alot of proof markings. So I need to finf a Gew 98 bolt matching or a Weimar matching bolt. And I will be a happy camper
I added some pictures for you.
Regards
Bob

Attachments

• BS 002.jpg
    BS 002.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 108
  • BS 003.jpg
    BS 003.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 68
  • BS 005.jpg
    BS 005.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 69
  • BS 007.jpg
    BS 007.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 59
  • BS 009.JPG
    BS 009.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 63
  • BS 011.jpg
    BS 011.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 60
  • BS 012.jpg
    BS 012.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 73
  • parts 032.jpg
    parts 032.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 90
  • parts 034.jpg
    parts 034.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 62
  • parts 035.jpg
    parts 035.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 59
I'm glad to see you posted it here!

A wonderful rifle, and covers several recent topics we have covered here, in particular, the “B.S” and “intertwined BS” topics. As I told you in email, the rifle is one of the rifles collectors attribute to Hannover, - when Spandau dropped manufacture of the Gew.98 in 1917, to focus on the MG08/15 series, their receivers were sent to Hannover, Mauser & Danzig to assemble.
All, so far, that were diverted to Hannover were the S&H sub-contract receivers, - as this one is. They are all assembled in the manner of a HZa would have done, lots of sub-contract & ordnance/armorer spare parts; while the Danzig & Mauser jobs were just worked in with regular production.

Now there are some unresolved issues with this variation, and we need to break this rifle in two topics. One the Imperial making of this rifle (the “H” aspects) and the interwar reworking/upgrading aspects (the B.S., rear sight and bluing):

The “H”, we assume to mean “Hannover” and because of original, non-reworked examples existing, we know these were made in the “Imperial” configuration. A typical wartime Gew.98, but with “depot” like characteristics (single acceptance RR, lots of ordnance/armorer spare parts etc..).
In the Imperial era Hannover was an Army Korps District HQ, probably other things, but it was not selected as one of the early Wehrkreis, but became one in 1936. I have seen one early rework that was “Hn” marked in the stock, but I “think” this dated to the 1936+ period due to style of the acceptance. Of course if they had the capacity to do work early on, they likely had some capacity earlier.

These things support the theme that Hannover might have been one of the “illegally operating depots” that the IAMCC complained about after they were pulled out in 1927. But it isn’t proof or the only possibility for “H”, but until someone comes across more information on this early period it is as good a guess as any other.

The “B.S” as per the past threads on this topic, is as confused a topic as the “H” receivers. But it does seem to represent a reworking facility.

It was MarkW who first suggested the Hannover line of thought, and the “B.S.” theory (recollection). His rifle was much as this one, "H" & "B.S" marked, also 1918 dated and very late (his a "g" block). Like this rifle, his rifle was originally built in WWI, and later reworked/upgraded to sS, blued, and the two marks are not related beyond indicating the rifles both went through the same two facilities years apart.

Comparing this rifle to other “Imperial” “H” Spandau’s, this is the original stock (the manner it is serialed, the c/RC marks everywhere, the acceptance, the two-piece buttstock) but note the “B.S” added! Combined with the B.S. on the receiver, it really seems the B.S. is a depot marking and is unlikely something else.. Really an exceptional interwar rifle!

If someone can help out Bob with his bolt, please do so, - I would but I do not have a spare Weimar era bolt.

Excellent rifle, I can't believe I missed this thread until now!

I have a weak spot for 1918 Gews, updated or not. Sorry I can't help you out with the bolt, but if I come across anything...

Gew 98 bs h marked

HI
Thanks. I would appreciate any help you can in finding a correct type of bolt for me rifle.
Regards
Bob

Military Rifle Journal
Back