Third Party Press

Two New Gews

PrayingMantis

Not mine, they belong to my friend, whose Gew collection consists largely of guns I either can not afford at the time or have the maker/year already. They are pretty nice Gews, but my picture taking abilities aren't the greatest tonight. Still, despite the blur, you can discern the important stuff.

https://picasaweb.google.com/cm13637aef/MauserOberndorf1916999c?authkey=Gv1sRgCNShqa-onvGangE#

The Mauser Oberndorf 1916 is all matching, save the floorplate/follower and firing pin. Likely the pin is a replacement for a clipped original, and is overstruck for some reason. I could not get the front screw out to get at the barrel code, and it looks like this has been a problem for some previous owners.

https://picasaweb.google.com/cm13637aef/Spandau1915508d?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnSyPqG2oKd7AE#

The Spandau 1915 is really nice and has some battle damage. It is a bolt and barrel bands mismatch, though the barrel bands appear to have been on there a long time. Getting it apart to get to the barrel code was a pain, but we succeeded. It was purchased off Gunboards, and it came with an original sling that was said to have been on the gun since it was picked up. My friend was not really interested in keeping such a delicate item so I bought it off him.

If I missed anything on either just let me know and I will remedy that.

Great rifles, - that MO/1916 looks like it was there in the trenches!

MikeF has a Spandau/15 very close to this one, 4k d block, and the BC is S 142, so this is a great report on a BC, - mostly because there are so few "S" blanks reported. Not sure who "S" is, but it could be several different firms.

Anyway, great reports Cyrus! As always!

Always happy to help. Is the Picasa web album working out as a good way to show the pictures? I thought it would be easier than filling your email full on messages with 4-5 attachments.

Cyrus, It works well enough, - probably great for those with a super computer or connection. My pc is old & slow and we have satellite connection so it is very slow and tedious snagging them through that site.

All of those popular sites people link to are the same way, and why I do not go to all those links people use these days. Facebook, Utube, photobucket, or what have you.

I will have to upgrade this neanderthal relic pc I have one day, but it works well enough for me now, and hard to put cash out to replace just because it is slow (kind of hypocritical consider I am a lot slower and rather outdated too)

Military Rifle Journal
Back