Third Party Press

letter to German solder, translation needed

mauser202

This letter came in a shipping box with some items sent home from the war. Check out the other items under the German Militaria thread. Hopefully someone can translate it and give some information about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as documents are not my area of collecting and I don't speak any German other than Hoffbraue and Paulaner :laugh:

Attachments

• z German letter 225 (9).JPG
    z German letter 225 (9).JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 63
  • z German letter 225 (8).JPG
    z German letter 225 (8).JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 43
  • z German letter 225 (11).jpg
    z German letter 225 (11).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 62
  • z German letter 225 (12).jpg
    z German letter 225 (12).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 38
  • z German letter 225 (13).jpg
    z German letter 225 (13).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 33
  • z German letter 225 (7).JPG
    z German letter 225 (7).JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Love letter

To make it short and to the point it is a personal letter from Ilse expressing her love and that she misses him. There is nothing about the war or weapons. She is hoping that he can come home on holiday. It is written in old German script that has been modernized by the Nazi's in the 30's by a lady that is left handed. I learned how to write like that when I was three years old. Harry

Thank you for the fast response. It fascinates me, I wonder if he was captured or KIA. It really brings home the timeless human element of war...

Probably taken as pocket litter. What is his name? Here is his unit:

FPN 41961 - 28.2.1941-29.7.1941 Regimentsstab Infanterie-Regiment 736. 8.9.1942-11.3.1943 Regimentsstab, Stabskompanie = A und Bespannungs-Staffel = B Grenadier-Regiment 736

GR 736 was on the beach at Normandy, north of Caan. This guy was likely captured or killed. That letter was on him, probably "pocket litter" in the pocket of his feldbluse or in his gas can.

The 716th Infantry Division, in summer 1942, was stationed in Normandy on the coastal sector extending from the Vire in the west to the Dives in the East. This Division was commanded by Generalleutnant Wilhem Richter at his Headquarters in Caen as shown in the above diagram. As can be seen on the organisation chart above, 716 ID was part of LXXXIV Corps, commanded by General der Artillerie Erich Marcks, and then the 7th Army, commanded by Generaloberst Friedrich Dollmann. 716 ID positioned its two infantry regiments on its coastal sector, Grenadier-Regiment 736 in the East (from the Dives to Courseulles) and Grenadier-Regiment 726 in the West (from Courseulles to Grandcamp). The HQ of Grenadier-Regiment 736 was in Colleville (named Hillman by the Allies). The three Battalions of GR 736 were stationed to the West of the Orne. Ost-Batallion 642 comprised Russian soldiers from the Eastern Front enlisted into the Wehrmacht. The Ost-Batallion was reassigned to 716 ID in 1944. It therefore became the IV Battalion of GR 736 and its HQ was at Amfréville. Finally, the 716th ID contained Artillery Regiment 1716. The 1./AR 1716 was located east of the Orne and was the Merville Battery. The Forward Observation Post of the Merville Batterie was manned by a Section of 3./GR 736.

Last edited:
Thanks HB for the info. His name is Hans Hebekeiser. It may be a lengthy post, but could you walk through where and how you get this information? I have no clue of where to start. I understand if it is too I volved to post.
Thanks for any insight.

Here is a PDF link to guide for translating German Gothic print and handwriting into Roman letters:

http://feefhs.org/guides/German_Gothic.pdf

Once you do that, you can run the letter through Google Translate to go from German to English.

From what I gather Gothic was very prevalent in Germany until around 1941.

Anyway, although historically interesting, this letter is rather creepy. It's from a loved one and was probably removed from the recipient's body after he was killed. I've seen lots of photos of dead German soldiers with their personal affects strewn around their bodies by individuals looking for valuables. I'm not sure why an American soldier would want something like that letter as a souvenir.

Has anyone looked through the German war graves database to see if he is listed in there? I'm not sure how unique of a name this is.

Mauser, books are published on the feldpost numbers. Some have them on disc. The unit information is just googled and there are a number of sources which provide that.

A Hans Hebekeiser is not listed in a German war graves Db. It may be that it is listed as Hans Kaiser. He was probably wounded or a POW. Soldiers took all manner of personal effects as war trophies, including letters, pictures, soldbuchs, etc.

This letter isn't written in Gothic or Sütterlin script, it is modern handwritting, I for example write in a similar fashion.
Sütterlin is way harder to dechipher.
That she used modern script most likely means she was rather a young girl.

P

No, Hebekenser Hans is listed to be buried on a wargraves cemetery.
(These list aren't the complete list of all KIA German soldiers)

P

I would like like to give it to the family but from what I am told it is next to impossible to locate a ww2 German solder.

Military Rifle Journal
Back