Third Party Press

MP40 ejector pin issue

actiondan

Is the ejector pin supposed to be 100% flush? I may have the wrong pin. However, the pin that came with my ejector sticks out ever so slightly on each side (1/8") and is not snug. Is the extra length on each side to bow the pin out to make it stay home? I'll provide pictures if need be.

Need pics. Do you mean the roll pin that goes through the mag well that holds the ejector in place? There is no pin other than that which is involved with the ejector.

Yes, that is correct, sorry. Pics coming.

EDIT - See attached. As I said, it might not be the correct one, which would explain the issue. It wont fall out on its own, but a little push will unseat the pin.

Attachments

• IMG_20150910_210756.jpg
    IMG_20150910_210756.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20150910_210459.jpg
    IMG_20150910_210459.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20150910_210442.jpg
    IMG_20150910_210442.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 37
  • _20150910_210810.JPG
    _20150910_210810.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hello Dan,
Wrong pin, it should be flush on either side. It would not sit proud like that on either side. The ejector adjustment angle is critical to the proper functioning of the MP-40. That is invariably the cause of FTE (failure to eject), stove-piping, etc., when it isn't the ammunition. Ejector adjustment is accomplished by altering the angle of the curve and ejector face, not bending or flexing the roll pins. The ejector should ride up in the bolt slot for it, barely touching, if at all, but not dragging. If that is an original pin it is not for that spot on the MP. If it is not, or just a standard roll pin, mark it and cut an end off and file it down, insert, file down, insert and fit, until it is flush and swaged on the ends.
Regards,
HB

Ok, thanks. I got it from bergflak, so I assumed it would be an original pin, but it might not. What have you found to be the best tool to swage the roll pin?

If it is solid with the ends hollow it is probably an original pin. It is likely for the front portion of the magwell at the trunion which is why it is longer. If you cut it, it may not be hollow, that is you'll get to the solid middle of the pin. Don't do that. Just get the proper pin.

Yes Dan, I looked at it again and it is a longer pin, not the correct length one for the ejector/magwell. The ends are hollow so they can be peened/flanged on the ends. If you cut that one you will end up with a solid pin (the hollow ends will be gone) or at least solid on one end. On my shooter I use machined firearm roll pins which I cut and peen a bit. Measure your thickness at that point and look for one that length.

Military Rifle Journal
Back