Third Party Press

K98b Tyrolean rifle

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Good collector friend of mine has one of these rifles for sale. Know nothing about them and never heard much about them either. Different caliber too 8.15x40. It was made by Mauser and the top of the receiver has a weird code too T.ST.V. Only took a few pictures of the rifle when I looked at it back in October in Louisville. Going to try too post those tomorrow. I do remember it was in very good condition and it was still all original. Thought you guys might know more.

T.St.V is for Tiroler Standschutzen Verband Sort of a shooting club and quasi-militia group in Tyrol. Given their caliber, the rifles were probably intended for competition. Pretty scarce rifles, but not a 98b.

Caliber is 8.15x46R. With proper German it would spell "Tiroler Standschützen Verband" (or was it "Verein"?), but that is just a side note since most in the US don't have the "ü" on their keyboard. They are not common, but nothing military.

Wow thanks for all the info on the piece guys. It is a pretty nice piece though in mint condition too. Be neat to own but i wouldn't be able to shoot it due too the odd caliber.

If the one you are looking at isn't listed on the WAF entry please add it. The survival rate is pretty good for such a small number.

some of them are even known to bear decals pasted to their stocks for shooting events.

They are a special marked version of the Mauser made Wehrmansgewher That mauser produced in a single and multi shot versions.

Attachments

• DJY952-K-CU33-L.jpg
    DJY952-K-CU33-L.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 56
Thank you for bringing that up Mauser99 this rifle does have the same decals on its stock as in the picture you posted.

Wow thanks for all the info on the piece guys. It is a pretty nice piece though in mint condition too. Be neat to own but i wouldn't be able to shoot it due too the odd caliber.

It's not odd. That was typical for a shooting club rifle in the German speaking area. I also have a Steyr M.95 converted to 8.15x46R in 1931. Every club had those!

And of course is the survival rate high, since they were kept in the shooting clubs and didn't sent to the front. The caliber is good for target shooting, but not for military useage. Therefore they did survive, also in good condition.

If this helps here's the rifles serial number 20332 by the way. Like I said before this rifle is for sale and if there is anyone interested in this piece I can give you the contact info of my friend who has it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back