Third Party Press

Beware of this Gew98 semi turret rifle

Absolut

Please beware of this Gew98 rifle: http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=5675143

Not only that the seller is known for selling K98k fake rifles (see http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=5651879 for one of those recent pieces), it seems that he's now continuing also to Gew98 rifles.

Note that the bases are much too high compared to originals - to avoid that he has to drill the receiver bridge in the rear. Also the bases are shiny blank metal, showing that they're new.

Also note that this time they also re-engraved the serial on the scope tube. My highest compliments to doing this (looks really well done, and this is really a tough job on a scope tube!), but it still can be noticed as a fake: the depth is wrong (originals would look identical on all the text on the tube), plus the distance is also wrong.

As a last note, the seller is really clever: he only describes the rifle and the mount, but he never says any word that this rifle is an original sniper rifle. This protects him of claims of the buyer, because he nowhere said he's offering an original piece!

I hope Wolfgang might join and give some more details what he had noticed wrong with this rifle/scope. And if the moderators are willing to, please also save the pictures to this thread for future reference.

Thank You for the warning . If I was ever to buy a German WWI Sniper before I did so I know the 2 Gents I would contact for help to verify . Georg I would imagine that there is a few unsuspecting collectors looking at this item . So hopefully your warning will get to them as well before they make a costly mistake . Best Regards .

Thank You for the warning . If I was ever to buy a German WWI Sniper before I did so I know the 2 Gents I would contact for help to verify . Georg I would imagine that there is a few unsuspecting collectors looking at this item . So hopefully your warning will get to them as well before they make a costly mistake . Best Regards .

they both said it was a fake to as I asked
Paul

Aside of the typical "brushing" used look by the same faker in Germany ... note the lack of the suffix on the front scope base, the very light stamped serial number on the scope mount - and the checkering on the unlocking knob, plus the silly screw on the rear scope base.

Funny, saw seller added today that he can't sell it any more because it has a bulge in the barrel ... yes, he never noticed this before!

Aside of the typical "brushing" used look by the same faker in Germany ... note the lack of the suffix on the front scope base, the very light stamped serial number on the scope mount - and the checkering on the unlocking knob, plus the silly screw on the rear scope base.

Funny, saw seller added today that he can't sell it any more because it has a bulge in the barrel ... yes, he never noticed this before!

Hi Absolut. I can´t forget this one. I have look at some other bnz "Einhakmontage" and i cannot find any thing wrong/different with the one on Egun (auktion ended) I find it very difficult to see what is ok or not ok. I will never ever buy a scope rifle on the internet - you must have it in your hands or have a expert to look at it. I´m NOT a expert but it is interesting to know how to see what is wrong. Are you 100 % sure that the one on Egun is a fake one. the suffix - stamps - screw looks identically.

picture from books

picture from books

Attachments

• side 1 001.jpg
    side 1 001.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 58
  • side 2 001.jpg
    side 2 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 56
  • side 3 001.jpg
    side 3 001.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 58
  • side 4 001.jpg
    side 4 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 45
  • side 5 001.jpg
    side 5 001.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 51
Yes, 100% sure. Look at the checkering of the knob for the rear scope base. The one on the rifle is the same one as on reproduction bases.

Edit: your book also has an error. BMJ with recoil ring has only been used on LSR mounts.

I viewed the Rifle at Egun and I agree 100% with Absolute . That Rifle is not an Original SC . Best Regards .

Yes, 100% sure. Look at the checkering of the knob for the rear scope base. The one on the rifle is the same one as on reproduction bases.

Edit: your book also has an error. BMJ with recoil ring has only been used on LSR mounts.

Thanks for info Absolut! hard to see. :thumbsup:

I have seen some Nice Original Sniper Scopes & K98 Mauser`s listed at Egun in past , but I myself don`t ever recall seeing a nice original WW2 German Sniper sell there . I do know one German collector who bought a super rare WWI Sniper Rifle . I don't recall the rifles exact designation but it was similar to a Sporting Type . Wolfgang would know We both saw this Sniper Rifle on a visit to this collectors home and he paid next to nothing . Best Regards

Serge, the rifle appears to come of the same hands you're quite familiar with - at least the way it was made suggests this ...

Military Rifle Journal
Back