Third Party Press

HT & SSR Scope & Mount from SOS

Dave Roberts

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?
Staff member
Two Items I got a SOS Show HT Thanks to Mike Steves and SSR bought from Richard Milton . Thank You both Very Much my Friends

Attachments

• DSC_0462.JPG
    DSC_0462.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC_0488.JPG
    DSC_0488.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0466.JPG
    DSC_0466.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_0467.JPG
    DSC_0467.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_0469.JPG
    DSC_0469.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0481.JPG
    DSC_0481.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0486.JPG
    DSC_0486.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0464.JPG
    DSC_0464.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_0492.JPG
    DSC_0492.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0471.JPG
    DSC_0471.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0473.JPG
    DSC_0473.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0475.JPG
    DSC_0475.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0477.JPG
    DSC_0477.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0478.JPG
    DSC_0478.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0470.JPG
    DSC_0470.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 232
Here is the SSR Mount & Scope

Attachments

• DSC_0499.JPG
    DSC_0499.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0500.JPG
    DSC_0500.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0502.JPG
    DSC_0502.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0506.JPG
    DSC_0506.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0508.JPG
    DSC_0508.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 118
Dave, Very nice items, sorry I missed meeting you Friday.....BILL

Bill
Same Here , I do not know if You remember me , but we did meet last Year .
But we only got to talk quickly . Next Year I hope . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

Congratulations on the new fine acquisitions Dave. Was that bolt shroud stamped 2219 or 2279?

Unfortunately, for me I bought this rifle as a matching optics High Turret Sniper. Which, it is not. The base rifle is a nice early High Turret. The Scope is a Micro Welded and re-numbered Scope ring. After much time it has become clear to me. The FUBAR late war CAD Scope now resides in my parts box and I bought a new early war Ajack Turret Scope to put on the rifle.

The white stuff in the numbers hides the flaws, faking, and micro welding. Not to mention it is a late war scope on an early High Turret. Heres a magnification of the scope numbers without the white stuff. You can see the ghost numbers above the fake numbers.

I paid the optics matching price for this. Besides the hurt pride and fleeced wallet I'm just irritated. Maybe, I'll start flipping Sniper stuff to make up my losses.

IMG_3188.JPG

Yes Brian You were sold this Rifle by me and why don't you tell the whole story about how you just had to have this rifle . None stop for over a year and a half you begged me to sell you this rifle , I finally relented and sold you this HT in or around the end of 2012 after you made me an offer I could not refuse . Everyone that looked at this HT when I purchased it saw nothing wrong with it due to the white stuff in the numbers . It was only realized the numbers looked odd and possibly not factory until you posted pics here at the Forum after you had cleaned the White stuff and Matt said the numbers looked odd .

Last year before the 2022 SOS SHOWS I asked you to bring the Scope so I could have an inland look at it , We both agreed that the numbers were not factory . At that time I offered to make things right/give you a refund you said no that was not necessary and we parted ways . You have called me and I have called you a number of times since the last show and never once was this topic mentioned again on any of our calls .

Last edited:
Yes Brian You were sold this Rifle by me and why don't you tell the whole story about how you just had to have this rifle . None stop for over a year and a half you begged me to sell you this rifle , I finally relented and sold you this HT in or around the end of 2012 after you made me an offer I could not refuse . Everyone that looked at this HT when I purchased it saw nothing wrong with it due to the white stuff in the numbers . It was only realized the numbers were not factory until you posted pics here at the Forum
and Matt said the numbers looked odd .

Last year before the 2022 SOS SHOWS I asked you to bring the Scope so I could have an inland look at it , We both agreed that the numbers were not factory . At that time I offered to make things right/give you a refund you said no that was not necessary and we parted ways . You have called me and I have called you a number of times since the last show and never once was this topic mentioned again on any of our calls .
I never begged you for any rifle. I was always interested in them and we were friends then. At the time I was really new to these Mauser Turrets and had asked you for help. This was maybe the third German Sniper I ever bought. As I have gained experience I now realize this scope was Micro Welded and renumbered. Nothing changes that fact.

I have talked to you maybe once since SOS. As per my message to you. At SOS I said I was not sure and it maybe it was OK. You said it looked OK to you. After looking at more Turret Scope Rings and further review it looks wrong. The further review is magnification of the ring itself and study. After looking at 100's of these rifles now it looks micro welded and renumbered. It's a real PRO Re-Number Job. It would fool most anybody.

At SOS I mentioned that I would like to have the factory matching Mauser High Turret I sold you back, since I gave you a friends deal on that. That's what I wanted when we talked at SOS.

I can't sell it to someone else with that re-numbered CAD scope on the rifle as that would not be right.

Unfortunately, for me I bought this rifle as a matching optics High Turret Sniper. Which, it is not. The base rifle is a nice early High Turret. The Scope is a Micro Welded and re-numbered Scope ring. After much time it has become clear to me. The FUBAR late war CAD Scope now resides in my parts box and I bought a new early war Ajack Turret Scope to put on the rifle.

The white stuff in the numbers hides the flaws, faking, and micro welding. Not to mention it is a late war scope on an early High Turret. Heres a magnification of the scope numbers without the white stuff. You can see the ghost numbers above the fake numbers.

I paid the optics matching price for this. Besides the hurt pride and fleeced wallet I'm just irritated. Maybe, I'll start flipping Sniper stuff to make up my losses.

View attachment 330404
I never begged you for any rifle. I was always interested in them and we were friends then. At the time I was really new to these Mauser Turrets and had asked you for help. This was maybe the third German Sniper I ever bought. As I have gained experience I now realize this scope was Micro Welded and renumbered. Nothing changes that fact.

I have talked to you maybe once since SOS. As per my message to you. At SOS I said I was not sure and it maybe it was OK. You said it looked OK to you. After looking at more Turret Scope Rings and further review it looks wrong. The further review is magnification of the ring itself and study. After looking at 100's of these rifles now it looks micro welded and renumbered. It's a real PRO Re-Number Job. It would fool most anybody.

At SOS I mentioned that I would like to have the factory matching Mauser High Turret I sold you back, since I gave you a friends deal on that. That's what I wanted when we talked at SOS.

I can't sell it to someone else with that re-numbered CAD scope on the rifle as that would not be right.
Brian, I don't know what was said between you and Dave and that needs to be settled between the two of you.

However, you are inconsistent. A year ago you were defensive when I questioned your scope. When I merely asked questions. You didn't want to talk about it. You even told me I didn't know what I was talking about. So were you wrong then? Or do you now admit that I did know what I was talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 49
Brian, I don't know what was said between you and Dave and that needs to be settled between the two of you.

However, you are inconsistent. A year ago you were defensive when I questioned your scope. When I merely asked questions. You didn't want to talk about it. You even told me I didn't know what I was talking about. So were you wrong then? Or do you now admit that I did know what I was talking about?

As stated. After further magnification and review. I appreciate you letting me know it was wrong though. I was so caught up in the fact people I trusted said it was good.

I did not consider you to be any more of an expert than me. Thanks for your input. At least it spurred me on to find the truth. It was not easy for me to figure out.

So much on here is political and friends related. It’s just what it is.

It’s micro welded and renumbered.

Edit: My Scope with original numbers on it and my Rifle from Senich Book.

IMG_5546.jpgIMG_5547.jpgIMG_5548.jpgIMG_5549.jpgIMG_5550.jpgIMG_5552.jpgIMG_5551.jpgIMG_5553.jpgIMG_5556.jpgIMG_5554.jpgIMG_5555.jpg

Last edited:
As stated. After further magnification and review. I appreciate you letting me know it was wrong though. I was so caught up in the fact people I trusted said it was good.

I did not consider you to be any more of an expert than me. Thanks for your input. At least it spurred me on to find the truth. It was not easy for me to figure out.

So much on here is political and friends related. It’s just what it is.

It’s micro welded and renumbered.
We are all constantly learning. I am by no means an expert. Sometime it takes an extra set of eyes.

It’s a tough thing to look at a rifle like this at a show and give an opinion, especially one you are not forking money over for. But Dave made the best call he could at the time - he was wrong on this one. I hope you and him can come to an agreement on it, but 10 years later you probably paid what it’s worth now, unless you swung for the fence.

I despise laquer stik’d numbers which hide a lot of flaws. Many collectors have been fooled over the years from that stuff, and I don’t leave it on guns I verify for myself.

I guess welcome to the sniper collecting world, you must be new to it if you’ve never been surprised and found a fake in your collection. I know that isn’t the case though….

It’s a tough thing to look at a rifle like this at a show and give an opinion, especially one you are not forking money over for. But Dave made the best call he could at the time - he was wrong on this one.

I despise laquer stik’d numbers which hide a lot of flaws. Many collectors have been fooled over the years from that stuff, and I don’t leave it on guns I verify myself.

I guess welcome to the sniper collecting world, you must be new to it if you’ve never been surprised to find a fake.
Yes. It's all in the open now. We all know we can get burned. It's just where and when that can significance beyond the obvious.

Edit: Scope Numbers Ground off as they are Fake.

IMG_5634.jpgIMG_5637.jpgIMG_5638.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. It's all in the open now. We all know we can get burned. It's just where and when that can significance beyond the obvious.
Friends should be able to work it out. I hope you can, there is a lot of respect there. Nobody can me perfect,’so you have to be able to make thing right.

Almost every time You and I spoke when You first started collecting You would ask me if I would sell you one of the 2 HT I had this one or the Late BYF44 HT K block with BEK sure You asked a lot of questions as a new collector , but conversion a lot times went to you ask if I would sell you one of the 2 HT and we chat at least once or 2 a month .

You got my SS OM 243/1939 Rifle in Trade for the HT .

I just looked at my phone log last time we spoke was when You called me on Dec 4th 2022 and left a message I returned your call Dec 4th 2022 time was 9:11 PM and we spoke for 28mins 6 seconds not one word mentioned about the Scope . You also tried to call me on Nov. 22 2022
I can post pics if need be I also have 4 or 5 recent emails I can post as well that shows no mention of this HT Rifle or Scope .

Almost every time You and I spoke when You first started collecting You would ask me if I would sell you one of the 2 HT I had this one or the Late BYF44 HT K block with BEK sure You asked a lot of questions as a new collector , but conversion a lot times went to you ask if I would sell you one of the 2 HT and we chat at least once or 2 a month .

You got my SS OM 243/1939 Rifle in Trade for the HT .

I just looked at my phone log last time we spoke was when You called me on Dec 4th 2022 and left a message I returned your call Dec 4th 2022 time was 9:11 PM and we spoke for 28mins 6 seconds not one word mentioned about the Scope . You also tried to call me on Nov. 22 2022
I can post pics if need be I also have 4 or 5 recent emails I can post as well that shows no mention of this HT Rifle or Scope .
Dave. I talked to your answer machine more times than not.

I paid cash for your OM mount rifle. It was a Chase Bank Cashiers check.

You paid me by check and your Zeiss Low Turret Scope for the late war High Turret.

I think something could be worked out. The one thing I know is there was never going to a good time for this. The balls in your court though.

@Dave Roberts in the OP of this thread you thank Mike Steves for this HT rifle. Does this indicate you bought it from him, or did you mean he gave you the lead on this? And would you mind unveiling how much you got paid for it in 2012?

Dave bought this at the sos, I had no stake in it and didn’t know the walk up that he bought it from. The base rifle is a great early byf44 high turret - at the time the scope serials were highlighted with white laquer which hid the fake numbers, a lot of guys looked at it but nobody caught it. Honestly my recollection is I looked at the base rifle and it was good, but I guess now it looks like my miss since the scope is bad (hint, I never bless scope serial numbers, even back then since sniper collecting is so rotten with fakes, I prefer to not even give opinions on them now from photos). But hey, I’ll own up to a mistake but not chain of custody.

Military Rifle Journal
Back