Third Party Press

HMG american made STG reproductions. MSRP $1799? Coming in 2016?

bnz41john

I apologize if this has been posted before but I looked around and didnt see anyone else talking about these. Ive been watching Ian and Karls videos on full 30 and they have had some early access to the newly developed reproduction STG-44 that HMG in Georgia is making. Apparently they are a "improved" design over the original and will be available in a bunch of different calibers. From my understanding you will be able to pick between 223 wylde/7.92x33/7.62x39/300 AAC Blackout. Here are the videos talking about the engeniring and designing that went into these rifles originally and what HMG has done to make them.

https://www.full30.com/video/ecb89fd5ddcf0d57eaa6031dbf3edb6b
https://www.full30.com/video/e9819afd7d651b70a96016a58a8e17ea
https://www.full30.com/video/7d1b89550ae217bdc9b1f13dddb0ee13

There actually website: https://www.hmgunworks.com/product/hmg-sturmgewehr/

Apparently the MSRP is about $1800 dollars. Just though it was really cool! Apparently you can pre order certain variations already on there website!

John.

Obviously HMG believe they can develop these rifles from scratch and still get them on the market with an AR15 price tag. Maybe, just maybe, they found the recipe for building a "Chromebook" version of the MP44 clones. Before HMG started working on their own version of an StG44, their main business was fabrication of steel targets. Quite a leap, I would say.

On second thought, I would probably be equally concerned if Harley Davidson suddenly became an airplane manufacturer.

To prepare your eyes for the looks of HMG's Picatinney StG44, exercise them 2 minutes a day for the rest of the year by staring at this "modular" FG42.

fg1z.jpg

I can understand the concern. I am also skeptical, but to see that there trying so many new things is very interesting. When they release them could turn out to be absolute junk. But at-least they are trying for what I would consider a reasonable price. I certainly wont be buying one anytime soon Ill wait for some in-depth reviews first but if nothing else it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

John.

To prepare your eyes for the looks of HMG's Picatinney StG44, exercise them 2 minutes a day for the rest of the year by staring at this "modular" FG42.

View attachment 110342

Im not really into the "tactical" thing but that FG looks pretty sweet. Its not like it was a original or anything. If making new versions of old guns can excite younger generations IN to the gun community and into collecting then I think SWEET :thumbsup:

John.

John, I was equally excited when GSG (American Tactical) brought the .22LR version of the StG44 into the U.S.

What a sobering experience that was! I didn't know that one could do so many things wrong in designing a 22LR rifle from pot metal. The looks and feel were great, spot on. But everything was loose, wobbly, flat out junk for $500. You need to keep in mind that GSG has an entire series of .22LR rifles all built around the same action. How a company can (I have a small penis) up that bad is beyond me. I think that was the last rifle I ever bought "because it looked like the real deal".

I own an SMG made FG42. It was not cheap but worth every penny I spent. As I stated somewhere else, if somebody can manufacture a rifle as complex as an StG44 for less than $3,000, either the manufacturer is really good at what they're doing or they're cutting corners somewhere.

Here's the problem. A "reproduction" of a firearm is just that, a copy of the original.

If they plan on other calibers then it's no longer a reproduction, but a new firearm. The people that want an MP44 look alike won't pay $1800 for one that's almost the same IMO so they better get it very close. Shooters will, but why pay $1800 for a gun that doesn't look Tacti-cool when an AR15 is $800?

I don't see the black rifle crowd lusting after them.

I can't see reenacting units using them (the SMG FG42's look very much like original FG's and are allowed, but probably just barely).

So who is the target audience? Someone wanting an MP44 but not wanting to spend 5-6k or even 18-20k for an original. Then again, will they overlook the fact that it doesn't look like one (no way they will look the part with an AR15 mag hanging out of it). Maybe the kurz version will look more appealing, have to wait and see....

If it is well built and actually WORKS without destroying itself like the SSD junk did, I'm 100% in. I'm willing to trade off some historical accuracy for reliability.

$1800 sounds good, but I will believe it when I see it. I didn't have an hour and a half to watch all three videos, so I only watched the last one. A lot of it was cringe worthy. Folding stocks? a pistol version? Picatiny rails? .223 caliber? The ammo is so long that a complete redesign of the mag well as well as the magazine itself that it ceases to be an MP44. Same goes for 7.62x39. I fail to understand the desire for one in either caliber outside of ammo availability. If I wanted to shoot .223 or x39 I can choose between my AR15, Steyr AUG or AKM.

I fail to understand the desire for one in either caliber outside of ammo availability.

My guess is, if they only cater to the 8x33 crowd they won't be able to offer the rifle at their predicted price because of the low production volume. Therefore, their approach is to share as many components as possible to be able to cater to the MP44, AR15 and AK47 crowd simultaneously and get production numbers up high enough where volume orders for key building blocks will drive their parts prices down. Maybe a pink version for ladies, another target group with significant spending potential?

I'm with MrFarb on this one. Might pass the 10 foot test but not a true repro as far as I am concerned. Might as well be a 10/22 in a STG suit. Now, redesign the internals but keep external look and dimensions the same that would be different. I'll keep working on my semi project.

With all the calibers you can buy them in original STG configuration. With the exception of the magazines on the 223/300 blackout. If you guys have some time I would suggest watching the videos about them. I even learned a lot about the original STGs that I didnt know. But like I sad Ill wait tell people have put quite a few rounds downrange before ill even think about looking to buy one.

John.

I can understand the concern. I am also skeptical, but to see that there trying so many new things is very interesting. When they release them could turn out to be absolute junk. But at-least they are trying for what I would consider a reasonable price. I certainly wont be buying one anytime soon Ill wait for some in-depth reviews first but if nothing else it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

John.

+1

I agree, I too am skeptical. They don't even have a working prototype yet!:facepalm: How are they going to market on April or May of next year? That is a pipe dream.
That being said I give them kudos for trying.

HDH.

10/4 on that!

$1800 sounds good, but I will believe it when I see it. I didn't have an hour and a half to watch all three videos, so I only watched the last one. A lot of it was cringe worthy. Folding stocks? a pistol version? Picatiny rails? .223 caliber? The ammo is so long that a complete redesign of the mag well as well as the magazine itself that it ceases to be an MP44. Same goes for 7.62x39. I fail to understand the desire for one in either caliber outside of ammo availability. If I wanted to shoot .223 or x39 I can choose between my AR15, Steyr AUG or AKM.

It's NOT a Sturmgewehr for chrissake! It's a new made REPLICA that looks much like one. How dare they call it a Sturmgewehr? Picatinney rails, folding stocks, pistol version, 7.62X39, .223, 300 Blackout???
Not! Everymans rifle? Na.
Looks like nice machine work, but I'll for sure stay with my originals.
Not to bash the PTR's cause they are as close as you can get to originals.
Pete

It's NOT a Sturmgewehr for chrissake! It's a new made REPLICA that looks much like one. How dare they call it a Sturmgewehr? Picatinney rails, folding stocks, pistol version, 7.62X39, .223, 300 Blackout???
Not! Everymans rifle? Na.
Looks like nice machine work, but I'll for sure stay with my originals.
Not to bash the PTR's cause they are as close as you can get to originals.
Pete

Especially after you fix em. ;)

I think the target market is for the same people who purchased that .22 look a like a few years back only more so. Like others have stated people who want an
Historical Clone of the MP44 will steer clear of this offering. Then there are people who just can't justify spending 5k on a proper clone and want to shoot it in an
affordable easy to get format. (5.56/7.62) This is the audience HMG is counting on.

Last edited:
clones

I think the target market is for the same people who purchased that .22 look a like a few years back only more so. Like others have stated people who want an
Historical Clone of the MP44 will steer clear of this offering. Then there are people who just can't justify spending 5k on a proper clone and want to shoot it in an
affordable easy to get format. (5.56/7.62) This is the audience HMG is counting on.

Yeah. I wish them well. Perhaps they will be offered in pink for the ladies. I get the .22 thing but a 10/22 is probably a better shooter. I got an Airsoft so I can shoot in my living room. Hard to find all those plastic bb's though.
I bought a high horsepower inboard boat some years ago. Called 4 Winns and asked about fuel burn. The rep said if I could afford the boat I should not have to worry about how much fuel it burned. I thought him a smart a$$ till I thought about it. He was right. Kind of applies to the guns I think re the ammo. BUT.
I can reload Kurz for about .16 using bullets I cast from linotype so I could not save anything shooting 5.56 or 7.62X39 in any event even if I wanted to.
Pete

Would I pay $1800 for a replica/clone STG that was 90+% accurate? yes.

Will I ever get the chance? No. If I had a dollar for every importer, vendor, maker, website and blogpost promising that one of these will soon hit the market, I'd be eating a pretty nice steak at the moment. Sorry, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've made this exact same post on so many threads that my brain hurts just thinking about it.

Would I pay $1800 for a replica/clone STG that was 90+% accurate? yes.

Will I ever get the chance? No. If I had a dollar for every importer, vendor, maker, website and blogpost promising that one of these will soon hit the market, I'd be eating a pretty nice steak at the moment. Sorry, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've made this exact same post on so many threads that my brain hurts just thinking about it.

Never say never, Rick Smith did it. That being said I hate to compare this offering to what Rick has done with his FG clone.

Mp44

If they work I am going to buy one. I am going to get mine in .223 and Kurtz. I plan on shooting it a lot. If I had a real STG44 I probably would not be interested. I emailed the guys who make the German Made clone and ask when theirs would be available and got no response. I am going to buy a real MP44/STG44 someday, but until then a decent clone will be good enough to shoot.

Brian

Military Rifle Journal
Back