Third Party Press

1918 dwm

8x57mauser

I picked this up I think last year off the forum here, decided that it would take a trip to the range tomorrow as I haven't shot it yet and everything in my collection makes at least one range trip. I was looking it over and was wondering if anyone has seen/knows of the marking pictured directly under the bayonet lug under the cleaning rod? Rifle has been used, but not abused. Bolt mismatch but correct bolt for one of these reworks. Loewe I tried to get the barrel code for you if you don't have it already, it might be partially covered by the rear sight.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 75
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 84
pictures part II

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 41
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 46
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN9825.JPG
    DSCN9825.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN9826.jpg
    DSCN9826.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the BC, I had it already, but it is always refreshing when someone tries to help my research. This rifle has been on this forum before, MikeF owned it for a number of years, - he picked it up August 2009 off GB, which was a gamble as the auction only had four pictures. I doubt Mike changed a thing, this is the bolt it came with then and for what its worth, it is a DWM bolt. The C/Z (kind of looks like a C/3) is most often attributed to DWM during the war, though can be found on any Berlin firm, like Oberspree or Spandau.

DWM is about the only one I know that put their BC's up front, at least religiously, - you can find them here on other firms, sometimes under the RS also, which is usually a sign of rework, but with DWM it is typical. Back when DWM was just like Mauser, the premier rifle making concerns in all of Europe - both owned by Loewe, actually the factory was the original Loewe rifle factory, well at least until they built another factory during the war. Of course some might argue ÖWG was in the game too, but they were in decline by the war.

The bayonet lug, it is a logo most probably, it is unidentified so far, but seen on others. Logo & trademark research could occupy a persons entire life, - between the US, England and Germany, the three great industrial powers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, you could literally spend your entire life trying to identify and understand the trademark variations and the interrelationships between the firms. I had to give it up as an active pursuit, it is mind boggling the number of firms that existed in Germany alone, the number of failures (1870-1945) and new start ups shows the vibrancy of the German economy back then (the era of an economy based upon real money), - today's Germany is just like the US, a sad shadow of what it once was, - and all of it can be laid at the feet of modern government.

BTW, DWM didn't make many rifles in 1918, like most of the G98 (rifle) makers, they moved to P08, MG or carbines by 1918. DWM barely made it to the e-block, piddly numbers compared to 1916 & 1917. Like the BSW stock too, really nice rifle, but you might do a search as i am positive Mike discussed this rifle here before. I will attach the 2009 pictures, in case you would like to see what it looked back then...

The text, it came out of Nevada:

Description for Item # 137550147

This auction is for a World War One era German Mauser "Deutschewaffen-und Munitionsfabriken" that I received from an estate. The metal pieces have no finish left. The receiver, barrel, bands, floorplate, buttplate, front and rear sights,and stock numbers match. The bolt assembly is numbered with a different serial number throughout, however. The cleaning rod is present. It comes with the sling. The stock is in good shape for being 91 years old with few dings and scratches. The bore is shiny with strong rifling. Will ship to C&R or FFL. No sales to California. Payment must be made with Postal Money Order ONLY in order to avoid shipping delays while your payment clears my bank. If your transfer dealer insists on faxed FFLs do not bid on my items. These used guns do not carry any warranty implied or expressed by me. Shipping , handling, and insurance is fixed at $40 via Priority mail insured to the lower 48 states.

Pictures for Item # 137550147

I picked this up I think last year off the forum here, decided that it would take a trip to the range tomorrow as I haven't shot it yet and everything in my collection makes at least one range trip. I was looking it over and was wondering if anyone has seen/knows of the marking pictured directly under the bayonet lug under the cleaning rod? Rifle has been used, but not abused. Bolt mismatch but correct bolt for one of these reworks. Loewe I tried to get the barrel code for you if you don't have it already, it might be partially covered by the rear sight.

Attachments

• pix456977203.jpg
    pix456977203.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 26
  • pix456977421.jpg
    pix456977421.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 24
  • pix457028656.jpg
    pix457028656.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 30
  • pix457028843.jpg
    pix457028843.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 30
Very cool 98M. Is the '61' assembly number seen anywhere on the trigger guard? The Imperial Gew98's from DWM I have seen will have a matching assembly number between the barrel/receiver/trigger guard. Actually most had such numbering, and this practice carried over into early 98k production for many makers.

Yeah I bought the rifle from Mike back in April 2014, just finally getting around to photographing it for my records. I might have taken a risk on the original auction with the 4 pictures. but then again that's what I do and usually it seems to pay off.

Thanks for the BC, I had it already, but it is always refreshing when someone tries to help my research. This rifle has been on this forum before, MikeF owned it for a number of years, - he picked it up August 2009 off GB, which was a gamble as the auction only had four pictures. I doubt Mike changed a thing, this is the bolt it came with then and for what its worth, it is a DWM bolt. The C/Z (kind of looks like a C/3) is most often attributed to DWM during the war, though can be found on any Berlin firm, like Oberspree or Spandau.

DWM is about the only one I know that put their BC's up front, at least religiously, - you can find them here on other firms, sometimes under the RS also, which is usually a sign of rework, but with DWM it is typical. Back when DWM was just like Mauser, the premier rifle making concerns in all of Europe - both owned by Loewe, actually the factory was the original Loewe rifle factory, well at least until they built another factory during the war. Of course some might argue ÖWG was in the game too, but they were in decline by the war.

The bayonet lug, it is a logo most probably, it is unidentified so far, but seen on others. Logo & trademark research could occupy a persons entire life, - between the US, England and Germany, the three great industrial powers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, you could literally spend your entire life trying to identify and understand the trademark variations and the interrelationships between the firms. I had to give it up as an active pursuit, it is mind boggling the number of firms that existed in Germany alone, the number of failures (1870-1945) and new start ups shows the vibrancy of the German economy back then (the era of an economy based upon real money), - today's Germany is just like the US, a sad shadow of what it once was, - and all of it can be laid at the feet of modern government.

BTW, DWM didn't make many rifles in 1918, like most of the G98 (rifle) makers, they moved to P08, MG or carbines by 1918. DWM barely made it to the e-block, piddly numbers compared to 1916 & 1917. Like the BSW stock too, really nice rifle, but you might do a search as i am positive Mike discussed this rifle here before. I will attach the 2009 pictures, in case you would like to see what it looked back then...

The text, it came out of Nevada:

Description for Item # 137550147

This auction is for a World War One era German Mauser "Deutschewaffen-und Munitionsfabriken" that I received from an estate. The metal pieces have no finish left. The receiver, barrel, bands, floorplate, buttplate, front and rear sights,and stock numbers match. The bolt assembly is numbered with a different serial number throughout, however. The cleaning rod is present. It comes with the sling. The stock is in good shape for being 91 years old with few dings and scratches. The bore is shiny with strong rifling. Will ship to C&R or FFL. No sales to California. Payment must be made with Postal Money Order ONLY in order to avoid shipping delays while your payment clears my bank. If your transfer dealer insists on faxed FFLs do not bid on my items. These used guns do not carry any warranty implied or expressed by me. Shipping , handling, and insurance is fixed at $40 via Priority mail insured to the lower 48 states.

Pictures for Item # 137550147

Military Rifle Journal
Back