Third Party Press

German helmet net?

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Captured this still from a scene outside Dachau of US troops on an embankment in 1945. So, what do you think, German helmet net?

attachment.php

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 133
net

It does look like a purpose made net. Just like alot of things we associate with post war maybe divised right at the end and never used or seen in any numbers???

That same style of net has showed up on Commonwealth helmets. I seriously doubt a GI would use a German net. I've never seen a pic of that. Without seeing any more of it the prudent assumption is that it is allied or any other form of netting or material. The chances that the well known $8.99 BW/BGS surplus net is a "late war German WW2 net" is about nil, although it has been advertised as such by the ignorant and/or unscrupulous. :)

nets

the guage of the string looks similar and it really doesnt look like u.s. or british.. Nor am I an expert on the subject. But to rebuke what stated I have seen many photos of german paratroopers using what is the more common british netting. So using the other guys cammo netting was done. ALso we must not lend to much to one photo that very well could of been doctored by farb who has been sitting on a garage full of these nets just waiting to unload them on the unsuspecting public!!!!!:moon:

I agree. There are a number of pics of German soldiers using allied netting. I'm talking about allied troops using German netting. I've never seen a pic of that. I think this net is perhaps something this soldier found and cut to fit on his helmet. There are other countries that made helmet nets like this wartime and postwar.

not really.

similar, but if you really look it's way different. Its closer to the post war net h.b. shows. I know where the footage came from now. I was watching the third riech "the fall" and saw the footage. 1945 around Dach.kz
was where it was said to have been taken. Only this one g.i. had netting on his helmet..

Military Rifle Journal
Back