Third Party Press

BSW Trainer

George R.

This one came with the other rifle in section, they came out of a oats bin in a barn in IA this weekend. It is duffle cut, all matching for what parts I do know that should match, missing the handguard so if anyone has one they want to part with let me know. After starting to clean it up I found what I believe is a police ID on the stock disc ( S o I d Db ) looked in Maus's book said Osnabruck ??? . Anyone have info let me know. GR

Attachments

• DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 70
Bsw/dsm

George, I'd be diving back into the oats for more stuff....
Thats a very un-common bsw made dsm34. the Sold Bd marking is a school marking I think. I'm away from my notes at the moment..Bob-in-ohio has a dsm34 with the same markings on the disc. Simson/BSW made very few dsm34's but made a ton of their own trainer the 625. Condition looks great and even has the sling!!!!!! Glad to see a few things being posted lately..This trainer section really slowed a bit from a really fast start.
Thanks for posting a great rifle...:thumbsup: Actually If I remember now it's a early wounded veterens association that got absorbed in the German red cross later on.

mauser it was just a rumor a buddy told me about it, I was just helping get the old Harley and Indian parts, I went into it completely blind not knowing anything or what I was getting this time, 465 miles later this is what I brought home.

Wow, another with the same marking. Definitely not police. I think Mauser99 is on to it. But rather than a wounded vet association, I would opt for the Soldatenbund. My US War Dept Pamphlet of July 1944 titled German-English Dictionary of German Administrative Terms lists Soldatenbund as Soldiers' League founded in 1935. You can google and find post cards and flags of the organization.

Soldaten Bund

I'm with Joe; Soldier's League or Association is what I've been told for years. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has a BSW dsm not marked. Mine (around s/n 133,300) is also marked on the disc.

Nice one George...

I have two DSMs by bSw... one w/ Sold.Bd (129xxx), and the other not (177xxx).... but has a NSDMB cartouche.... The bSw logos are different, and apparently two serial blocks were used too.

Attachments

• nsdmb01.JPG
    nsdmb01.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 29
  • D34.bsw.15.JPG
    D34.bsw.15.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
Thanks BiO, more stuff to collect now. Being that I have really no knowledge on these and I recieved some great info all already, what makes this one uncommon as posted previously, I now know it is not the stock marking serial number is 131170 I believe, approximite year of manufacture ( mid 30's based on proofing ?? ) I am in a really bad learning curve here. My next question is how do I repair this duffle cut.

dsm34

I would say it's from the 35/36 period. Bob Simpson was the one who told me about the
Sold Bd markings and what they meant. He also told me they dissapeared because this group was absorbed into the D.R.K. german red cross. It apears they purchased a number of these from BSW as most of these with this marking apear to be BSW's.
Simson/ BSW receivers run in series all the way up to the making of the kkw. This is when all the other modells seem to stop showing up. The way to narrow down the year is the name change from Simson to BSW and serial extentions along with the Sold Bd markings. These were made along the same period as the 625b. The second series as bob has shown is higher and was made between the 625c and 625L series. This is when the BSW logo changed.. I think in 1938..

Last edited:
In my experience...

A high-percent of my .22 trainers are duff cut suggesting the 22s
(as a group in general) are closer to being vet guns than 98s.
I think my .22 collection is 40-60% cut,
and I have never fixed a one.

Of course, recoil and blowing the stock apart
is not an issue with the .22 cart.​

Bob, we discussed your NSDMB marking already? It's the NS-Deutscher Marine Bund (NS German Navy League) formed in 1935?

I don't understand Bob Simpson's belief that the Soldatenbund (Sold.Bd.)was absorbed by the DRK. Perhaps he was thinking of another association.

Thanks for all the info greatly appreciated. Bob I will leave it then no repair on this one I have a 10/22 that really does it all anyway. Thanks again. GR

mauser99;13928... said:
I would say it's form the 35/36 period. Bob Simpson was the one who told me about the Sold Bd markings and what they meant. He also told me they dissapeared because this group was absorbed into the D.R.K. german red cross. It apears they purchased a number of these from BSW as most of these with this marking apear to be BSW's.

Thought I would bring this one back to the top...
For what it's worth, I have a Geco DSM34 that is Sold. Bd. marked.​

Military Rifle Journal
Back