Third Party Press

Has anyone heard of a G43 WaAc10 handguard numbered inside?

Gerard

Collector /Militaria Dealer
Just bought a few guns yesterday, including an ac44 G43, all matching, with a numbered WaAC10 handguard. Is this correct or fantasy? Will post pics later, but I am sure it's original.

Gerard

Marked Handguard

Yes, many of the early Walthers and the later AC45 rifles were marked with this stamp at the top center of the exterior on the handguard. I've got an unsanded AC45 b block and it is quite clear. Most were sanded off post war because they were quite small and easy to mistake as just a "ding" in the wood. Darrin Weavers book mentions this marking in Hitlers Garands. Here's a photo of one that has been partly sanded out on and AC45 dual rail "b" block. If you want I can get a photo of the unsanded one later tonight when I get home. Lemme know...

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 61
Yes, many of the early Walthers and the later AC45 rifles were marked with this stamp at the top center of the exterior on the handguard. I've got an unsanded AC45 b block and it is quite clear. Most were sanded off post war because they were quite small and easy to mistake as just a "ding" in the wood. Darrin Weavers book mentions this marking in Hitlers Garands. Here's a photo of one that has been partly sanded out on and AC45 dual rail "b" block. If you want I can get a photo of the unsanded one later tonight when I get home. Lemme know...

Thanks, but numbered to the rifle inside? I didn't know the handguards were numbered.

They are not numbered...not saying one couldn't be...but certainly not standard.

Ive not seen a G or K43 handguard that was numbered, but 9.9 out of 10 unsanded/unworn Walther GK43 rifles Ive seen, including all the way til the end, have the tiny WaAc10 on the handguard

They are not numbered...not saying one couldn't be...but certainly not standard.

Thanks, that's what I thought. The numbering seems the same font as the stock, but I will get it out in the light a little later and post pics.

Interesting...

Numbered to the gun inside? Nope none of mine are. Have you pulled the butt plate and checked for stampings on the wood there? Most of my pre 45 Walthers have stamped numbers or date codes behind the plate...

How big is the font? Most of the AC44 Walter stocks were stamped on the bottom keel of the stock with 10mm high numbers, seems a bit strange. Love to see some pics.

Last edited:
g43 handguard

I have seen them numbered in pencil only. I think the risk was to high to try to number them by stamping..Seems odd.

Let me start by saying, since it has the Eagle/H, I knew something wasn't right, so I bought it as a shooter. The stock "anomalies" -Eagle/H on left, above waffenamt, Extra eagle on bottom, tiny extra eagle on handguard, at fat end, away from the WaAc10 and the same one on the bottom area in font of the mag well. Of course, there is the numbered handguard. Just somebody with too much time on their hands and a lot of stamps?

Attachments

• P1270745.jpg
    P1270745.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 37
  • P1270746.jpg
    P1270746.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 49
  • P1270747.jpg
    P1270747.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P1270748.jpg
    P1270748.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P1270749.jpg
    P1270749.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 29
  • P1270750.jpg
    P1270750.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P1270751.jpg
    P1270751.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1270753.jpg
    P1270753.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28
  • P1270754.jpg
    P1270754.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 22
  • P1270755.jpg
    P1270755.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 27
more photos

Attachments

• P1270757.jpg
    P1270757.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1270758.jpg
    P1270758.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P1270759.jpg
    P1270759.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 19
  • P1270760.jpg
    P1270760.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1270761.jpg
    P1270761.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1270762.jpg
    P1270762.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 16
  • P1270763.jpg
    P1270763.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P1270764.jpg
    P1270764.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P1270765.jpg
    P1270765.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1270766.jpg
    P1270766.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
more photos-2

Attachments

• P1270768.jpg
    P1270768.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 18
  • P1270769.jpg
    P1270769.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1270770.jpg
    P1270770.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P1270771.jpg
    P1270771.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 13
  • P1270772.jpg
    P1270772.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 16
So many stamps, so little time...

Looks like you are correct, someone got a box of stamps and went nuts on this gun. The "H" could not be more obvious. What a shame, it looks like a pretty decent piece.

I didn't want to predjudice the jury at first. So, I take it the numbered handguard is not correct? That part looks really nice in hand, even hard to see the numbers, you have to catch them the right way....:facepalm: Glad I went with my first impression then.

"N" Block Stock

Here's the numbers inside the butt plate on my mid "N" block AC44 for reference.

Attachments

• DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 28
g43

My opinion differs from his. I say the stamps on the out side of the stock are legit. The H that was added was just that added. In a very poor manner. This was not someone using a set of stamps for a k98 eagle/H stamp. The H was made with a screwdriver or something not a stamp. All the exterior e/359 stamps look right. The serial # on the stock looks correct. It has the typical 10mm walther serial font stamps and a "i" block rifle would have a serial numbered stock. The h.g. serial is a fantasy item. And added by a moron with to much time on his hands. It could be removed with little harm done. The markings under the buttplate are the'" Nr" barrel blank provider or finisher and what is thought to be a date. Sometimes these numbers make no sense as dates though. I was told on later walthers they stopped serial numbering the outside bottom of the stocks and serialed them under the buttplate. I have only owned 1 late 'c' block k43 and cant remember if it was or wasnt numbered. Cant wait to see what else you grabbed. This rifle is all matching and in good overall shape..

Da haul

My opinion differs from his. I say the stamps on the out side of the stock are legit. The H that was added was just that added. In a very poor manner. This was not someone using a set of stamps for a k98 eagle/H stamp. The H was made with a screwdriver or something not a stamp. All the exterior e/359 stamps look right. The serial # on the stock looks correct. It has the typical 10mm walther serial font stamps and a "i" block rifle would have a serial numbered stock. The h.g. serial is a fantasy item. And added by a moron with to much time on his hands. It could be removed with little harm done. The markings under the buttplate are the'" Nr" barrel blank provider or finisher and what is thought to be a date. Sometimes these numbers make no sense as dates though. I was told on later walthers they stopped serial numbering the outside bottom of the stocks and serialed them under the buttplate. I have only owned 1 late 'c' block k43 and cant remember if it was or wasnt numbered. Cant wait to see what else you grabbed. This rifle is all matching and in good overall shape..

For Wayne- Da haul-

Attachments

• dahaul.jpg
    dahaul.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 36
I agree the stamps on the left side of the stock (excluding the "H") are legit as is the one at the stock wrist. There is a double strike stick eagle at the rear top of the hand guard which in my opinion is bogus. There is a correct eagle in the center top of the hand guard however. I'm not sure about the dual stamps above and below the serial number on the keel of the stock, neither of my AC44's have these however I do have an AC45 "b" block that has a large eagle WaAC10 on the keel just forward of the butt plate.
I've never heard of the number behind the butt plate referring to the barrel manufacturer, this doesn't sound logical that someone would go to all the trouble to stamp a barrel supplier code on a stock in a hidden location. I have heard that the "N" stamping might pertain to production at the Neuengamme KZ assembly facility but its just a theory as far as I can tell. The stamping on the interior of my "n" block butt plate is shown in a previous post was built around Nov 1944, the stamped numbers 6 22 44 would make sense as a date as the stocks were no doubt made in advance and inventoried. There is another mysterious "5" stamped over or under the 44 so I'm not sure what that is. This "n" block has a single eagle 359 on the left side of the stock, the 10mm serial number on the keel and the smaller E359 on the bottom at the stock wrist. The hand guard is unmarked.

I've also never heard of serial numbers being stamped below the butt plates on late war Walthers, none of my AC45's (a no letter block, an "a" block, and two "b" blocks) have any markings whatsoever below the butt plate. Anyone ever seen serial numbers under the butt plate on late war Walther's?

The stamps under the butt plate, appear to be "Na 44 224". Gergnotwen, a German date would be month, date, year, wouldn't it? Mine could be "Na44" is the manufacturer code and year. "224" could be 22nd of April. Just a thought. Makes sense though.

Date

On a k98k the date code would be. Day of the week, week of the year and year. I would bet this date is about the same way. It looks like it has a odd number stamped
on it. But it's a differant size and I wouldn't worry about it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back