Third Party Press

Jon Speeds review

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
I dont like to "toot our horn" so to speak, but when a guy like Jon Speed reacts to the book, I thought
it might be of interest. Also a larger issue here is his wish that the knowledge get out there.

I dont know if all of you are aware, but the majority of the remaining original Mauser factory records,
documentation, technical data, engineering dwgs,etc. are held by Mr. Speed.

It is his earnest desire to have that knowledge distributed and not held in a vacuum. That in it self is
refreshing. Mike and I echo Mr. Speeds views in that nothing should be held "secret" or in the closet.
That is one of the main thrusts of this forum - the free and unhindered presentation and discussion of
knowledge relating to the subject at hand. Nuff said.

From an email received on March. 7, 2010:

Hello Bruce,

The book just now arrived. Congratulations to You and Michael for putting together one of the best and most organized, detailed , photographed and up to date publications on any firearms subject I have ever seen!!!! Thank you for all your hard efforts on this project which makes me feel my Oberndorf 98k materials are finally being put to good use by your team! Dont forget the copy to Lockhoven and 1 extra copy I can show around here including to the owners of the DWJ publications who might be interested in a German Edition . Also please let me know the costs for the extra 2 books as well as shipping etc. I look forward to being able to contribute more materials for your next 2 books. BEST REGARDS, Jon Speed

A german edition! that has tp be the ultimate compliment. But yes Mr. Speed is legendary in out hobby. the book is the new standard for really any reference in th emilitaria field in the age of the internet.

I dont like to "toot our horn" so to speak, but when a guy like Jon Speed reacts to the book, I thought
it might be of interest. Also a larger issue here is his wish that the knowledge get out there.

I dont know if all of you are aware, but the majority of the remaining original Mauser factory records,

It is his earnest desire to have that knowledge distributed and not held in a vacuum. That in it self is
refreshing. Mike and I echo Mr. Speeds views in that nothing should be held "secret" or in the closet.
That is one of the main thrusts of this forum - the free and unhindered presentation and discussion of

Hello Bruce,

The book just now arrived. Congratulations to You and Michael for putting together one of the best and most organized, detailed , photographed and up to date publications on any firearms subject I have ever seen!!!! Thank you for all your hard efforts on this project which makes me feel my Oberndorf 98k materials are finally being put to good use by your team! Dont forget the copy to Lockhoven and 1 extra copy I can show around here including to the owners of the DWJ publications who might be interested in a German Edition . Also please let me know the costs for the extra 2 books as well as shipping etc. I look forward to being able to contribute more materials for your next 2 books. BEST REGARDS, Jon Speed

Congratulations, such praise from the likes of Jon Speed is really an accomplishment.

Pretty darn impressive!

Hello Bruce,

I have to admit it's humbling. The reviews we have to date are incredibly kind, but as much work as we put into it it's nice to see them.

This project was fun to work on, but I'm already digging the early war stuff for the next book. Honestly, I really earned my appreciation from you SimsonSuhl - at one time I was focused on latewar and I gave the early stuff less attention. I think I even stated that I disliked JPSauer rifles once. Now, I have a new collection building of just JPS stuff, and even owned a Sterngewehr (which resides now with Joe Steen). Anyway, that is all at your feet sir. :)

Book - Unsung heroes

Also, Mike and I cant help but acknowledge the help by Paul on this project. He doesnt realize that he
got his foot stuck in the book project quicksand pit and will get rapidly pulled in for volume 1.

Both Paul S. and Joe Steen really helped out here - with Pauls contribution (w/assistance from Ken H.)
on the barrel code study and his critical contribution of the Steyr background work.

Also Jon Speed will be heavily involved in volume 1 as well. Joe Steen and Paul S. will be key their extensive experience with the Weimar era, K98bs and reworked Gew98s - as those will also be covered
in Volume 1.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I appreciate the comments, truly, and I will help with Vol.1-2; I think I can be of more assistance with these areas, as that is more my interest.

That Steyr thing got a little carried away.. but at least I trimmed it down.

As I told Mike, I have a significant amount of information on the Sachsengruppe and of course a great deal on Simson/BSW.

Also, Mike and I cant help but acknowledge the help by Paul on this project. He doesnt realize that he
got his foot stock in the book project quicksand pit and will get rapidly pulled in for volume 1.

Both Paul S. and Joe Steen really helped out here - with Pauls contribution (w/assistance from Ken H.)
on the barrel code study and his critical contribution of the Steyr background work.

Also Jon Speed will be heavily involved in volume 1 as well. Joe Steen and Paul S. will be key their extensive experience with the Weimar era, K98bs and reworked Gew98s - as those will also be covered
in Volume 1.

Thanks again.

Military Rifle Journal
Back