Third Party Press

1938 Geco catalog 'high-lights"

mauser99

I just recently purchased this reprint from cornell publications. It's well worth picking up for the 15 bucks it cost. The catalog pushes their product the heaviest. It is their catalog. But, they also sold the other brands as well.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 75

this is a good snap shot of what was available to the German shooter in this time period.
Also 1938 is pretty late as far as finding this type of catalog. Bob Simpson has a large collection of period paper catalogs that He said he aquired when he bought the contents of a swiss gun shop/smith who had been a dealer since the twenties. Those will be shown in great detail in his book when finished.

So in 1938 Walther was still making their Sportmodell. Also at this point the BSW 625C was in production as well as the 317K which was the commercial sporter. Actually they seemed to always make it..

Also the 4mm 625CZ as it's refered to. Also the Buscher sport modell. Which I think JGA sold under license to Buscher in Nurinberg.

Mauser and walther are shown as with all the rest. It's 50 pages long.

Also Geco's I'm assuming 2nd. series DSM34 is featured. No other dsm34's are mentioned. Just the respected house brand trainer the other companies produced.

As Geco wanted no competion to their DSM34 "makes sense".. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. The 1938 catalog seems to be shortened for rifles only? I have their 50th anniversary 1937 catalog (a copy of which is also sold on the site) and it is 400+ pages. But the 1937 catalog lists the W625b, but not the W625c. Change over in models in the year? Was the W625b listed in the 1938 catalog? I must order it now.

IMG_8283_0002.jpg

book

Joe, this catalog is just target shooting and small caliber stuff. This has everything from
targets to trophies..I wish I could read german.

oh, no mention of the 625b. IT was replaced by the 625c. So this is a good time line from when they changed the letter. Like I said they never seemed to stop making the 317k as gustloff marked examples are around..with eagle/N proofs

Also to answer you're question there are target pistols listed.

Last edited:
This is somewhat OT, but wanted to give you all a heads-up on a thread on German Daggers dot com. Check it out here - http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=242267&#Post242267
Actually the thread deals mainly with any and all KdF memorabilia, but touches upon the KdF trainers also. The lady who started this thread seems to have excellent researching skills and I would recommend reading the whole thing.
Joe, I think you will find the 1938 document signed by the Polizeipräsident of Abteilung 4 Stuttgart to be of interest.

Denny, that thread has some beautiful catalog shots. Lovely shots of the W625C. Wish there was a way to date its appearance.

I have seen other publications of that particular 1938 decree which basically established official guidelines for the construction of ranges and the conduct of KdF shooting events. It was published nationally and then distributed locally from respective police authorities, such as the one illustrated in that thread that was signed by some police official in the place (I.A.= im Auftrag) of the Police President of Stuttgart.

other post.

It's funny how a topic on training rifles can be found on a dagger forum. I would have to guess this scans were from a 1938 dated A.K.A.H. catalog. They are very similar to the Geco catalog except I dont think akah had rifles with their logo on them. I have seen many holsters and other equipment marked with their logo. The JGA rifles are being branded as JGA's where in the geco cat. they are being sold as the Buscher sport modell nurnberg . There are numerous versions of this 4mm rifle. They are also called wehrmansgewer & wehr-sport-karbines.. It took me a while to sort it all out..

Added, a couple of already posted photos of two of my JGA wehr-sport-karbine's These can be found in either solid Beech,Walnut or Elm stocks.. The main difference between this modell and the other is the bayonett lug and the rear sight and upper band.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Gewehr_und_Karabiner.jpg
    Gewehr_und_Karabiner.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 836.jpg
    Picture 836.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 849.jpg
    Picture 849.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 840.jpg
    Picture 840.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys!

"signed by some police official in the place (I.A.= im Auftrag) of the Police President of Stuttgart".
Joe, everytime I talk to you, I learn something new!!

In the Akah advertisement, does the JGA Wehrsportkarabiner have a stock cut-out for a full military sling similar to that of the K98k or does it just have a stud like the rifle below it. It looks like a 98K sling to me.

Sling

You can see the sling keeper in the drawing. These are illustrations not photos if I didn't need to tell you. So there may be some artist interpritation in the drawings. For what it's worth I think most of the jga rifles use a k98 type keeper not the stud in the stock.

Should of checked my 1939 Peter Marholdt, Innsbruck catalog. Found the JGA listed with some of the same description as used in the Akah advertisement. Notice the specialized targets, bullet traps and accessories for the rifle. The bottom text in box indicates the confromance of the rifle to the guidelines of the NS Reichsbund fur Leibesubungen , the Deutsche Schutzen Verein as well as numerous Business and Factory Associations. Special prices for large orders.

PeterMarholdt1939catalog.jpg

It's funny how a topic on training rifles can be found on a dagger forum. The JGA rifles are being branded as JGA's where in the geco cat. they are being sold as the Buscher sport modell nurnberg . There are numerous versions of this 4mm rifle. They are also called wehrmansgewer & wehr-sport-karbines.. It took me a while to sort it all out..

Added, a couple of already posted photos of two of my JGA wehr-sport-karbine's These can be found in either solid Beech,Walnut or Elm stocks.. The main difference between this modell and the other is the bayonett lug and the rear sight and upper band.

And a centimeter in length between the karabiner (111cm) and the Wehrmannsgewehr (110cm), as well as the sling slot in the stock.

38 Geco catalog

Hello gentlemen,
I'm new to the site but have been interested/collecting since the 70's.
If you look at the Geco page on DSM you'll see an * asterisk and corresponding note bottom page which states the DSM34's are made by other concerns and are available through Geco as well.The AKAH cat. offered by Cornell Pub. is claimed to be 1932 vintage.I compared my reprint w/ Bob Simpson's original at his store and his (cat. #150) has no date! As this cat. offers DSM's it must have come out later (in fact his original has 1937/38 penciled in on the cover).AKAH would offer you any brand of DSM you requested and listed them all as well.
You all seem to be very well informed and I share your enthusiasm for german .22's!

Tom

Hello Tom. I noted your observation and found my reprint of #150 also dated 1932 but obviously a later publication date. I had not noticed it before. I recently acquired an original that is hand marked 1935 on the interior facing page, but identical in content. I wonder how the reprint publisher managed to date the cover if originals were not dated. It is obvious that the catalog is post 1934 as the DSM is listed, but if you examine the pistol holsters, you will note that an unmarked Anuschat pattern PPK holster for the PO (Political Organisation for RZM PL PPK) was being offered. This would correspond to the dated Akah RZM marked dated 1935 holsters in collections. And since the 1938 pattern PL holster with PL eagle on the flap is not offered, it would predate 1938. I have an Akah catalog Nr. 175 and it is dated 1939.

DSM34 shoot

Thanks,glad to be here!
A little about myself : I have had a lifelong interest in german weapons and equipments(my dad was an avid gun collector;I was always impressed w/ the design and quality of his german pieces) which finally manifested itself by membership in a WWII reenactment group. The Affliction has gotten to the point where I have acquired some rather large items in my collection(Opel Blitz Allrad,Pak 40,Jgdpzr Hetzer) but lately I've been smitten w/ the smallbore trainers.As always,I have an Evil Plan for the few sportmodels I have;that being organizing a Wehrsport shoot for my unit members whom I've been encouraging to find and purchase trainers for themselves.Hopefully I can learn more about the original Wehrsport match rules/regs. in order to hold an authentic event.The overall winner will recieve the marksmanship lanyard to wear on his walking out uniform while the NCOs will probably have side bets placed on the performance of his Gruppe(squad).
I found the Forum whilst researching for the match;I was impressed w/ the knowledge possessed by the members!
So I am formally asking for your assistance in planning and holding this event;Thank you in advance for any advice/info/help you may have for me.
You may view our website at: www.2ndpanzerdivision.com

Danke lieber Herren!
Tom

Neat! Was your Hetzer the Swiss one that was available some years ago?

I must profess that I am not that familiar with the Heer shooting events. I was not aware that they used .22 trainers. Most units seemed to have the EL 24, Erma Einstecklauf M.24 that introduced the recruits to the K98k but firing a .22 lr cartridge. Were the marksmanship lanyards awarded for use of a .22 or a full caliber K98k?

DSM34 Shoot

We got back in '94 from a friend in Germany who dealt in that sort of stuff.The Hetzer you're refering to went to D. Crompton in Mi.You can see it at the Thunder Over Michigan airshow each summer(Youtube).
The marksmanship lanyard was awarded in different grades according to accomplishment using the 98k.I believe the army used .22's to 1) introduce soldiers to shooting(teaches fundamentals w/o flinching and 2)shooting matches/recreation for soldiers.
We are using them because they are much more pleasant and cheaper to practice w/ and they are .22's and not 8mm(I don't want to shoot live the same weapons we shoot blanks at each other with).
Besides that,as you know,they're cool to have and it opens up another interesting aspect to the hobby(Fun!).

Tom

Military Rifle Journal
Back