Third Party Press

M40 SD Luftwaffe helmet help!!

agentcq

I have the option to purchase/trade for an M40 helmet SD Luftwaffe helmet.

From the pics, I am quite certain that the SE64 shell is authentic WWII and it even has a nice batch number. The paint on the inside of the helmet and the liner look legit.

My questions about the helmet are in regards to the brass catch on the chin strap?

The outer paint job? Authentic? Field re-paing? Post war and aged?

Also the Decal itself? Authentic? Fake?

I don't want to make a trade/purchase unless it is authentic.

Any idea on value if it is authentic? I am not looking for an exact price but ranges usually work best.

Thank you

Attachments

• GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_001[1].JPG
    GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_001[1].JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 37
  • GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_002[1].JPG
    GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_002[1].JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 50
  • GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_003[1].JPG
    GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_003[1].JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 45
  • GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_004[1].JPG
    GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_004[1].JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 48
  • GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_005[1].JPG
    GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_005[1].JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 33
  • GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_008[1].JPG
    GERMAN_HELMET_FOR_SALE_008[1].JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 34
m40 luft/

The color and decal look ok. I originally didnt like the look of the air vents. But, the rest of the helmet looks ok. Unless the price is right under 300 usd I would not buy it.
I have seen really nice m40 lufts at shows for 400-450 and they just sit there. So I guess it's up to you. But, I say it is at least an orig. helmet.

chin strap I'd say is bad..

also the liner wont be around much longer.

The color and decal look ok. I originally didnt like the look of the air vents. But, the rest of the helmet looks ok. Unless the price is right under 300 usd I would not buy it.
I have seen really nice m40 lufts at shows for 400-450 and they just sit there. So I guess it's up to you. But, I say it is at least an orig. helmet.

chin strap I'd say is bad..

also the liner wont be around much longer.

Thanks mauser99!

You confirmed my opinions on the helmet. Those vents do look wierd, almost like the Finnish post war helmets Numrich used to sell.

I think the chin strap is also a replacement.

Nice things about the helmet, but he is asking more than I thought it was worth as well.

I love this forum, it is great to learn from others.

M40 lufts

at the last allentown pa show there were a number of decent helmets under 500.00 bucks. I had no spending cash so all I could do was look. This would be a helmet I would pass on.

Agent, that helmet is original. The problems: heavily collector oiled liner, cleaned shell, replacement chinstrap. Looks to me that it probably could have been an original "camo" or sorts with that tan blotch, but looks like other such blotches were cleaned off of the shell. With more blotches on it as a camo it would be desireable, even with the oiled liner. Could be that the blotch is just the remnant of someone painting their garage or closet and not caring to move the helmet. It's maybe a $300-400 helmet IMHO.

Close up of the Air Vents on this M40

are there any Numbers stamped inside of the helmet besides the helmet size?
there has to be a Batch number stamped inside of the rear skirt of the helmet
and the Vent holes look Really Strange]
is it possible to get any better pictures of the Vent Holes?

Military Rifle Journal
Back