000_1572.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 000_1575.JPG
    000_1575.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 253
Yes this is one of the earliest known, only one other with a cartouche is known earlier. I believe there is an rc in the range that "probably" was a DRP Postschutz rifle.

For my article on the DRP/Postschutz I had to create a new database out of my database and BruceK's and this one was one of the earliest.

Bill if you have the rifle handy, can you see the "Ch" number on the barrel shoulder? These have a barrel code under the wood and a "Ch" number on the shoulder. Unfortunately we have far to few documented to form a pattern. I think the "Ch" number is the most important number and I would like to collect its data if handy.

From the pictures it might not be over the woodline anyway, but if it is let us know. (some are under and some over the stock)

Also if you do look at the rifle, see if you can find any "S28" marked parts? These will be in weird out of the way locations, under the front band (outside but under along the bottom), the ebox between the underside and stock, - just out of the way locations you wouldn't normally expect. I think this is the same "S28" stamp which we find on the S28 Kar98b and is related to DWM firms.

Mauser Banner DRP Berlin Postal District 'X' Out......BILL

Question about the bayonette

Mauser Banner DRP Berlin Postal District 'X' Out......BILL

In the attached picture there is something attached to the Bayonette. What is it? I have one but it's not attached to the bayonette and i have no idea what it is, what it's used for or what it's called. Please educate me. Thanks!

In the attached picture there is something attached to the Bayonette. What is it? I have one but it's not attached to the bayonette and i have no idea what it is, what it's used for or what it's called. Please educate me. Thanks!
It is a Bayonet knot denoting the branch of service in this case Postal Service...The name for it is (Portepee)... The Germans had one for each company,in theArmy Navy, Airforce and paramilitary units......I hope this helps some BILL

Ok, what is a rifle like this worth? I know where one is but I don't want to insult him with an offer.

Military Rifle Journal
Back