blocks 5 2016 001.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 69
  • blocks 5 2016 002.jpg
    blocks 5 2016 002.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 59
  • blocks 5 2016 003.jpg
    blocks 5 2016 003.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 56
Happened to mine, too. Not quite that bad, though. You can get spare parts from SSD/Germany.

block

Happened to mine, too. Not quite that bad, though. You can get spare parts from SSD/Germany.
I'm thinking there is enough looseness/slop in this rifle to keep the bolt from engaging the block as deep as it should. With the block edge being rounded off like it is the bolt is getting close to being able to ride over the block rather than staying locked in battery.
Pete

With the block edge being rounded off like it is the bolt is getting close to being able to ride over the block rather than staying locked in battery.
Pete

Not only that, I think the wear has already increased head space beyond safe limits.
How did you get the block out of the trunnion? Did you manage to pull out the pin holding it in place? Did you need to remove the extractor to slide the block out?

block removal

Not only that, I think the wear has already increased head space beyond safe limits.
How did you get the block out of the trunnion? Did you manage to pull out the pin holding it in place? Did you need to remove the extractor to slide the block out?

They usually come out fairly easily after removing the 2 pins holding the ejector in then the ejector. There is a hole in back of where the receiver block is for a pin punch to drive the ejector out and another hole for driving the block out. The fit of the block in the T slot and the ejector is what retains the block. The blocks usually come out without heavy pounding but the one in this latest PTR was so tight I was beginning to wonder if it was going to come out at all. It did but I bent a couple punches in the process.
The wear on that block no doubt let the HS increase. Interesting that the bolt looks totally normal with no noticible wear on the locking surface. I'll see where the HS is after a replacement block is found and put in.
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back