Third Party Press

MP44 Semi Build, ATF approved process?

Waffentag

I am looking for the approved ATF process to take a properly demilled MP44 parts Kit, torch cut receiver and build an ATF approved semi.

I have the RECON ord 922r parts set. I also have the back receiver shells from Pete and would want one of his reciever blocks. I would also use a new US made barrel.

I am willing to be the test case if no one has done this before? I understand that my gun smith may need to send it off to the ATF tech branch. I just want to reduce my risk and do it right.

Thanks Pat

PS, a few years back, I met A gunsmith with a German accent at the SOS who had an ATF approved 9mm MP44. I thought that he had also gotten approval for one in the original caliber?

all the re-builds to semi-auto I have seen do not have a atf approval letter they were rebuilt using blocking tabs and modified trigger housings with modified full to semi parts. oh that goes for every type of full to semi conversion whether they are thompsons, russian big mgs, small euro mgs I assume you are not a member of any of the builder sites otherwise you would not be asking this question here ( I could be wrong and I would stand corrected)

also over the last 20 years of following these approval letter request have not turned out good for the firearms community, as the atf will give out 5 different opinions. then with there back up against the wall change there mind and say once a MG always a MG

U.S Made Receivers

Roger, I have heard that. There was a member of the old K43 forum who was working was going to be the first to submit one. He was going to apply for the appropriate licenses, so that if it turned out bad, he could still register his semi auto attempt as a post sample.

Not sure what happend to him? Also, I met a Gun Smith that Pete knows who built a 9mm MP44. At the SOS a few years ago, he showed me his ATF approval letter. I took a photo of it with my phone, it must have deleted it?

Does having one of the Pete new U.S made receivers block make it easier to get the ATF node?

Despite the challenges, I would still like to have one built for me that includes the official ATF approval.

Pat

The approval letter is really only necessary if you sell them for business or if you live in an oppressive area where you fear scrutiny. If you were questioned at the range by law enforcement and had the rifle properly marked and included Semi-Auto or something like that in the name you would be fine in most cases. With all the MP44 .22s out there now I don't think people are as surprised to see them anymore.

For building you can have no more than 10 imported parts off the naughty parts list. Pete's trunnion helps this but the odds are most guys would have been rewelding the trunnion area anyway which then makes it a US part. What Pete's trunnion does is save you a boat load of time and headaches in terms of getting the dimensions correct. Receiver was demilled into no longer being an MG so rewelding that makes it a new US part. FCG is an easy grab from Recon and that knock three parts off. I would recommend getting the mag floorplates from them as well as it is a pretty inconsequential part in terms of operation and counts a a US part. Here is a nice page that helps you figure out if you're legal or not.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

Tech Branch approval?

This is a real interesting subject for discussion. Case in point are the parts Recon has as compliance parts. They include a charging handle and the wood grip panels. Since I have given thought to doing a semi build to submit to Tech with my ideas of what could make it "not readily convertible" I needed to find out about the 922 parts issue as well.
I asked about a barrel I made from A Mauser barrel.
Still an imported part they said.
I asked about the charging handle.
They said the handle, carrier and piston is considered ONE PART. (Amazing since on a FAL and other guns it's 3 parts. To me that goes to show that there is no rhyme or reason to what Tech will do at any given time). I have read more than once that if a individual got a approval for his own semi whatever that someone else would still have to get their own approval for one done the same way. How that works for something like a Philadelphia? Arms Thompson partially complete receiver I don't know as they come with a BATFE letter stating that as it is it is not considered a firearm.
I asked about the grip, panels.
They said they are not a named part per 922 and that the trigger housing was 922, so there is no countable pistol grip on a MP44.
That makes one wonder how the approval for the PTR 44's reads. I doubt Recon or whoever went to the expense of having handles and grip panels made for no reason.
Regarding PTR's. The carriers I have seen do not look like the handles have been changed. Sometimes I wonder about the fire control parts too.
I know the fellow that did the 9MM 44's. He is a gifted machinist and craftsman. I shot two of them at the Creek. He built a semi FG42. Made all the parts! Said he'd bring it to the fall Creek for me to see. The subject of a letter he is said to have for his 44's just never came up. I need to ask him about that.
Pete

scrutiny?

The approval letter is really only necessary if you sell them for business or if you live in an oppressive area where you fear scrutiny. If you were questioned at the range by law enforcement and had the rifle properly marked and included Semi-Auto or something like that in the name you would be fine in most cases. With all the MP44 .22s out there now I don't think people are as surprised to see them anymore.

For building you can have no more than 10 imported parts off the naughty parts list. Pete's trunnion helps this but the odds are most guys would have been rewelding the trunnion area anyway which then makes it a US part. What Pete's trunnion does is save you a boat load of time and headaches in terms of getting the dimensions correct. Receiver was demilled into no longer being an MG so rewelding that makes it a new US part. FCG is an easy grab from Recon and that knock three parts off. I would recommend getting the mag floorplates from them as well as it is a pretty inconsequential part in terms of operation and counts a a US part. Here is a nice page that helps you figure out if you're legal or not.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts
Good thoughts re the oppressive area and scrutiny. Not a big deal for many of us who would NEVER take our stuff to a public range I guess but I see posts from time to time about guys having problems at ranges with busybodies sicking the range Nazis or local law on them. Things could go South quick if they got the Feds involved in something the locals know nothing about.
Just sayin.
Pete

Yep, and that is why I belong to a private range. Most of the guys there know what I am up to. :thumbsup:

I just dont believe in poking a sleeping bear, too many bad past experiences with this " I am going to get the tech branch give me a letter stuff", 99% of the time it ruins it for everyone

just my opinion

I concur. Unless you are in the business of making them there is no point. There is a ton of info out there regarding what BATF considers sufficient to make rifles/subgun parts sets into non F/A carbines and rifles. Don't poke the bear

Military Rifle Journal
Back