Third Party Press

Oberndorf turret sniper

Bizar

Yesterday another K98 was added to my collection.
A completely equal numbered K98 from Oberndorf with a turret mount, unfortunately without the scope. I suspect from theyear 1943 .
The weapon cames from a legacy of a good friend of me who deceased at 84-years of age a few weeks ago. His children gave me as first the chance to obtain some K98's from his extensive weapon-collection.
That man had the weapon since the end of the 40s in his possession. And it's also known where the sniper was hidden, witch is a nice extra in this case.
The weapon is in my opinion never been disassembled . The lower band is even fitted reversed on the rifle .
Here the pictures as I have obtained the weapon. As you can see, the weapon has not been kept in ideal conditions .
Now I'll let the pictures speak . Later followed by a solid (technical ) explanation and photos of all parts and the cleaning-process of the weapon.
DSC06536.JPGDSC06537.JPGDSC06538.JPGDSC06539.JPGDSC06540.JPGDSC06541.JPGDSC06542.JPGDSC06543.JPG

I suspect that it' a 1944 production , no letter block , so january .
Is the front base for high turret ?

Nice rifle OP. Congrats.

I am a little confused. The bolt shows it to be a L block. Is that a faint L that is on the receiver? So I am not sure if it is a late 1944 L block, a late 1943 L block or a early 1944 no latter block.

Mfarb, you are the L hole. What is it?

Very Nice ! Do you really think it is useful to clean it ?

Yes, no risks for a firing-test.
And especially the stock was/is very dirty. While cleaning the stock for the first time another WaA appears.

I don't believe BIZAR pointed out whether its a LT OR HT . It appears to be a LT to me , unless my eyes are playing tricks. Bizar can You show inside of Front Base . Nice Piece of History You have there . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

Looking at the front turret base it appears to have a stopping screw, so I agree that it should be a Low Turret.

Thanks for all your comments. Extra photos will show up.
I'm not staying at home for the moment because of my work, so a little bit patience would be appreciated...
Next sunday i'll post some more pics of the mounts. I can't tell if it's a LT or a HT. My knowledge about snipers has still a long way to grow.

I don't believe BIZAR pointed out whether its a LT OR HT . It appears to be a LT to me , unless my eyes are playing tricks. Bizar can You show inside of Front Base . Nice Piece of History You have there . Best Regards
Her some detailed photos of the front- and rearmount. Can you tell only from looking at the outside if it's a LT or a HT?
DSC06576 (Custom).JPGDSC06577 (Custom).JPGDSC06578 (Custom).JPGDSC06579 (Custom).JPGDSC06580 (Custom).JPGDSC06581 (Custom).JPGDSC06582 (Custom).JPG

Thanks for the extra pictures. Yes it can be determined from these pictures that you have a Low Turret. Nice pick up. These are much tougher to find than High Turrets. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Very Nice LT , You should be very proud to own such a Nice Original . Best Regards

Military Rifle Journal
Back