Third Party Press

Looking for info / input on an SS marked Gew 98

MET1288

I recently previewed some guns going off soon at a local auction. Although I'm not overly familiar with Gew 98 type rifles and their nuances, one seemed interesting. It's a mixmaster wearing a sporterized stock. The barrel and receiver S/N match in number with the bolt group being different but matching itself. The remaining small parts are mixed. It bears two SS style skulls on the side of the barrel and a few markings on the side of the receiver, pictures below. There are no other markings on the receiver or barrel above the wood line. The rifle is well used with a dark bore.

Are these SS markings legit and what type of value would a rifle of this character carry? I have no horse in the race, just find it to be a very curious rifle.

Thanks all

(If there is a more appropriate section for this, please let me know)

Any stock markings? And those SS skulls look real too me not the cartoonist Frankenberry ones I come across all the time. I have seen Gew98 SS reworked rifles with mismatched bolts too. If this turns out too be the real thing someone sportized the wrong rifle!

Any stock markings? And those SS skulls look real too me not the cartoonist Frankenberry ones I come across all the time. I have seen Gew98 SS reworked rifles with mismatched bolts too. If this turns out too be the real thing someone sportized the wrong rifle!

I did not observe any stock markings. Someone went through alot of effort to modify the stock and it sports a few repairs to remove most anything making it look military. I'll see if I can find a full picture.

It's real, though there is no fixing that stock and you do not show enough to do a realistic value.

While i have more questions, I suppose they are pointless as it is at an auction house. Really the issues that influence value on these are the same German rifles wide, the more original and unaltered parts the better, the killer is the stock, that really does not help value at all, it looks a complete loss. With the m/m bolt and stock, it really isn't worth a serious bid, but there are a lot of people that love these nasty little rifles and even a barreled receiver is probably worth something to someone.

BTW, the rifle "was" a late Danzig, probably 1917. You might put this over on Pisgah's 98k forum, might get a few more people to look at it, but the answers will be much the same (need more information... for a value)

It's real, though there is no fixing that stock and you do not show enough to do a realistic value.

While i have more questions, I suppose they are pointless as it is at an auction house. Really the issues that influence value on these are the same German rifles wide, the more original and unaltered parts the better, the killer is the stock, that really does not help value at all, it looks a complete loss. With the m/m bolt and stock, it really isn't worth a serious bid, but there are a lot of people that love these nasty little rifles and even a barreled receiver is probably worth something to someone.

BTW, the rifle "was" a late Danzig, probably 1917. You might put this over on Pisgah's 98k forum, might get a few more people to look at it, but the answers will be much the same (need more information... for a value)

Thank you much.... I know valuing what I have shown is like trying to give a haircut over the phone.

I simply became intrigued because I understand "what could have been" should this rifle carry authentic markings (as you state it does) and not have been destroyed as it has. I understand the items that normally influence value with such rifles, but surely have seen other items with SS markings command a premium even in "far less than correct" condition. I also understand the large amount of fakes and forgeries that exist in this arena. Being German and SS items are not an area I study as much, just understanding it's not a fake was helpful. It sells today, I'll be happy to report back on what it sells for.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back