PDA

View Full Version : byf43 low turret, Spandau rework as found detailed photo study

bruce98k
04-24-2011, 08:09 PM
As this is the first one of these I have owned figured I would really load up the images.
The old timer that had this rifle sold it for 20.00 ten years ago to the friend of the guy I bought it from.

This was on GB and didnt meet reserve so the seller and I worked a purchase out.

Will add pics as the cleanup progresses.

Also updated the title to reflect the nature of this rifle.
The gun is period correct but not as shipped from Mauser.
For whatever reason, the gun was diverted or sent to the depot at Spandau for rework or repair.

All parts are factory original except the firing pin and cocking piece which are recovered parts, and a midwar armorers bolt shroud.

Dave Roberts
04-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Bruce
You got Yourself a Nice Catch there , Looking at the Front Base this one has one of the Roughest ones I have ever seen . Also probably one of the latest Produced LT I have seen also . Very neat to see because have now seen both LT`s & HT`s in this same K suffix letter block . This Would be a Nice Partner for my K block HT even though mine is Late K block . If You ever get tired of it Bruce I would give it a Nice Home with plenty of other Sniper Rifle to mingle with .How about a Pic of the inside of Front Base would like to see stop Block in Base . The Screw can be seen on outside of Base . Very Nice , Thank You for sharing it with all. Best Regards

ditch68
04-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I watched that auction intently, Bruce. I thought the seller seemed pretty abrasive and super proud of it in the listing, with all the additions and long-winded assertiveness about the rarity, without knowing much at all about the rifle, obviously. I think the scrubbed back of the cocking piece scared some away, but it is right as rain, IMHO.

I am VERY glad it went to you. I assumed no one would get it judging by the listing. :laugh:

I am looking forward to the rest of the pics.

I think a contract Zeiss Zielvier with a sunshade on low turret rings would be a really perfect optics setup for that one.

Jeff

Stana
04-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Congratulation Bruce,
Nice rifle really.

I have to say "Turbo myš" won again:thumbsup:

Stan

RyanE
04-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Ok, I completely missed this one. :facepalm:

Is this a complete rifle (minus optics) or just the barrelled action? Anybody got a link to the auction?

Very nice find, Bruce. I always like seeing these restored to their former glory.

bruce98k
04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
no top end.

Also this rifle is depot marked on the stock (Su4).

Will update later with link to auction.

agalland
04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=di I thought the seller seemed pretty abrasive and super proud of it in the listing, with all the additions and long-winded assertiveness about the rarity, without knowing much at all about the rifle

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Boy....you are right about that.

DAve verified it as an honest LT early on , but the seller rambled on and on with his confident assumptions as to what was what...and wouldnt be deterred otherwise.

When it never passed 2k I wondered exactly how unrealistic his reserve price was.

Glad to see you struck paydirt....congrats

BSW 1937
04-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Nice catch Bruce and thank you for the pictures.

Glad to know that LT were made at least until the k block.

Is the stop block of the front base on the left front of the base?

Damn, I still need to find a set of screws for the bases to complete my LT project!

bruce98k
04-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Yes you can see the end of the stop block screw on the radius in the one image.

mrfarb
04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
That is a really nice low turret that cleaned up great! If the seller had those pics it would have done better at auction. I think the rework aspect scared a lot of folks off which is only natural- anything odd like that should scare people when it comes to snipers.

Turbo Archie
04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
This is a neet one.

Cool powdered/welded front band..

But its stupid question time.... is that triggerguard/FP factory?

bruce98k
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
TA - totally correct.

Here are 2 'k' blocks -the low turret and an elm stock example.

Dave is so anal he caught my spelling.

Dave Roberts
04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Bruce It`s NOT a Bleep , Bleep , Bleeping Turrent :laugh:It is a Turret !!!!!!!!!!!!! Best Regards