Third Party Press

Cleaning dark laminated stock: G33/40

ekafant

On my 1942 G33/40, the stock has seen some use to be blunt. The stock is pretty dark I believe from oil over the years. I tested a couple of small areas with a spot of oil soap on a damp towel, but nothing really came off. Question, just leave as is, or is there something I can do that will slightly lighten it by removing some of the oil. I have heard of oven cleaner and the like, but I do not even want to think of using something like that. It is not a matching gun as far as the bolt (is G33/40 though) goes, but stock and receiver do match if that will affect what I may do. If the best course is to leave it alone, I will.

Yes, I figured that leaving it alone would be the best course of action. You cannot replace "patina" for lack of a better word, and it is easier to screw things up alot of the time. On a side note, my 13 year old shot it for the first time yesterday. He kept talking about how much he liked it while handling it, but after 5 rounds he said, " I dont like this rifle". He prefers his M1 carbine for now. He did like the K98s and Swiss K31s though!

What has been said by Pisgah and Reich1900. I can't see any positive in cleaning these things.

Military Rifle Journal
Back