Third Party Press

1909 Spandau Gew.98m

8x57mauser

Just bought this today so it will be a little bit until i have it in hand and can take good pictures. I've added another Gew.98m to my collection.

All i really have on it is that it's a 1909 Spandau, matching except for bolt. Definitely looks well used, bore is a little dark. For $400 I'll take a chance on it

412764918.jpg412764919.jpg412764920.jpg412764928.jpg412764929.jpg

As Mike said, a very tough date to find, any maker, - the only makers working G98 were Spandau, Mauser and DWM, 1909 was a big year for the 98a and most were engaged with that program. Hard to say the suffix, but it has one, so far the high range is the 8000 a block, this doesn't look like the a-suffix normally seen, so it is probably higher...

Barrel is also unusual, the markings next to the shoulder are probably foreign, they certainly do not look like a German pattern. Might be related to something else. Pictures are too poor to even guess, though they have a Polish appearance, though I do not see a Polish FP.

I actually went back and questioned the seller on the stock and the rifle that was listed as a bolt mismatch all of a sudden also has mismatched bands and no numbers to be found on the stock.

I'll be passing it. $400 can be better put towards a true bolt mismatch or matching example.

I think it was the right decision to pass, it looks as though, in all probability, that the only thing original is the receiver. $400 for a rare receiver and an accumulation of components, many of which probably are not period original is probably not such a great deal. I doubt there is much downside at $400, but it is extremely likely that you have a parts rifle and at $400 it is at its top range of value.

Delivered isn't a bad deal, got to be worth that in parts... hard to judge this rifle actually. I suspect it is just a receiver that is 1909. The barrel original to a later rework, but impossible to be sure with these pictures.

I will say if you really want a 1909 G98 your options are limited, it is a pretty elusive year. Of course 98a are far more common. Restoring it to interwar is doable, probably could do a credible job, but to 1909 pretty difficult. Odds are good it would turn out to be another project b/r leaning against the wall if I bought it though. Restorations are never, or almost never, worth the effort imo.

Worse case the receiver would make a cool paperweight...

Primarily as a shooter I wouldn't have to worry about. $325 shipped

I'm going to have to pass however; my GTI needs a 40K service. So it's still available unless I sell something off my list.

Just sold 2 today; I'll jump if still available when payment arrives.

T

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back