Third Party Press

K98 High Turret sniper rifle

balkslak

This rifle is up for sale and I’m interested in getting your opinions on it. I’m guessing its original due to the low numbers of fakes in Norway in general, but I’m by no means an expert. The rifle is a non-matching rifle with a bore in good condition. There is a slight dent to the scope but the seller says that it doesn’t have any effect on the optics. The leather case for the scope have a similar logo as on a Walther PPK holster I own made by AKAH. Is there anyway of dating the rifle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, it is a LOW TURRET rifle and not a high turret!

Secondly, did you notice the front scope base (while assuming it's original, since most fakes leave out the stopping screw since it's hell of a work to copy) looks like it has a black paint on it, while the receiver doesn't? The stock is not original to the rifle, it has a flat buttplate and the pen markings inside look like they are of Norwegian origin. The bolt handle is re-serialized (original serial filed off and then re-applied).

Not taking much of a detail look at it, it could be that the original barreled action once was a LT (or HT?) sniper. It has been re-equipped with the front scope base, which most probably came with the scope since they both feature a black paint. Then the rifle was re-completed with a newly serialized bolt and a stock. That leaves you up with a possibly restored sniper and a fully mismatching piece. The value then is the sum of the parts individually.

Edit: also applies to the aside pictured LSR sniper. That one features a H barrel band, which would never be original to a LSR sniper. Also the scope on this rifle seems to not have a recoil ring, so I assume a built up shooter.

First of all, it is a LOW TURRET rifle and not a high turret!

Secondly, did you notice the front scope base (while assuming it's original, since most fakes leave out the stopping screw since it's hell of a work to copy) looks like it has a black paint on it, while the receiver doesn't? The stock is not original to the rifle, it has a flat buttplate and the pen markings inside look like they are of Norwegian origin. The bolt handle is re-serialized (original serial filed off and then re-applied).

Not taking much of a detail look at it, it could be that the original barreled action once was a LT (or HT?) sniper. It has been re-equipped with the front scope base, which most probably came with the scope since they both feature a black paint. Then the rifle was re-completed with a newly serialized bolt and a stock. That leaves you up with a possibly restored sniper and a fully mismatching piece. The value then is the sum of the parts individually.

Edit: also applies to the aside pictured LSR sniper. That one features a H barrel band, which would never be original to a LSR sniper. Also the scope on this rifle seems to not have a recoil ring, so I assume a built up shooter.

Thank you for a quick a thorough answer Absolut.
So this rifle is most likely built post war from original parts to make a shooter? Prices differ quite from Norway to the United States but the rifle is priced at four to five times the normal rate for an unmolested K98, would you say it’s worth it? The trigger guard also seems to be of an WWI G98 as it has a hole for the sling attachment on it.

It is in very poor condition. I personally would not give more than € 1500 for these various parts.

Thanks again. Im going to wait until a scoped K98 in better condition shows up. This forum is very helpful for an inexperienced collector as myself.

BYF44 or something else?

Regarding the serialnumber of the rifle, is it possible to tell if it is a BYF43 or 44? I am not very familiar with these rifles. Best regards.

they used the same serial # in both years so you cant go off the serial #. This is a Byf43 based off the rest of the rifles features.

Based on the simple fact that we do not know if the barrel bands are matching the answer to your question is only correct in that it is prior to 1944. It might also be 1942 or even earlier.

Based on the simple fact that we do not know if the barrel bands are matching the answer to your question is only correct in that it is prior to 1944. It might also be 1942 or even earlier.

Hi, barrelbands not original to the rifle. In my opinion it was propably turned in to a hunting rifle when sold out fra the Norwegian army/National Guard. National Guard used K98k 7.92 mm sniper rifles in the 1950s. Later the Norwegian re-issued bolt and stock (from a re-barrelled 30.06 K98kF1) was added, may be recently. Is it possible to tell year of production from barrel markings?

Last edited:
You can desolder the base and check for the year ...:googlie . Probably there is a 42, 43 or whatever marking on the barrel. But unless the barrel parts (rear sight, etc.) are matching serial numbers to the action, that one could be changed too. So nothing to assure it for 100%.

You can desolder the base and check for the year ...:googlie . Probably there is a 42, 43 or whatever marking on the barrel. But unless the barrel parts (rear sight, etc.) are matching serial numbers to the action, that one could be changed too. So nothing to assure it for 100%.
barrel parts are matching to the action. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

well there are other problems with this rifle. FIRST the RECEIVER is a BYF43 they moved the letter block from UNDER the serial the right hand side in the h (H) block of 1943. not 1942 as they did not use 5 digit serials. SECOND this is a NORWEGIAN captures so that means unless a NAVY used rifle it would be 30-06 not 8mm. the barrel can not MATCH as it has been replaced with what looks like a Czech Post war winter rifle the MS barrel code. You will probably find a Czech lion fire poof near the first step down of the barrel in front of the receiver under the wood. the bolt stamped .572 is how the Norwegians matched rifles (found on Rec, Bolt and buttplate) and if it has this serial it was a 30-06 but the receiver is not machined like the 30-06 so the KNM marking are under the new bases added you can see the solder on the edges not normal for LT rifles. The triggerguard is a 1934 Banner rifle the action screw rear is a VZ-24 front is K98. the LT base front screws are not the flat head tapered ones they look way off. the rear base is marked wrong.

later
vaughn

Last edited:
Barrel

Czech barrel markings?

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 49