Third Party Press

MG34 Laffete Not nice but mine

agentcq

It's been like Christmas the last few weeks, my imports are finally coming in.

Here are some pics of my MG34 Laffete tripod.

1942 dated, heavy Yugo paint, complete minus AA mount, all parts in working order.

Okay, I hate the Yugo paint, it is flaking off and looks horrible.
Some of the pics show that there is a second layer of dark green paint under the Yugo paint. Is this original German paint? Or another post war re-paint?

If the dark green paint is original, I will chemically strip the Yugo paint and keep the original paint (even if 20%). However, if both paint jobs are post war, I am going to chemically strip and repaint the mount.

I know this is going to be a big task, but I want it to look right and I am not going to mess around much with the search fire mechanism.

What paint would be correct for a 1942 mount? I have heard that the Germans used a tri color cammo (brown, green and tan) in the early years and later either dark grey and brown cammo or dark grey. In the last few years, I heard they used DAK tan.

Did the Germans use primer on these first? In know some items they used the red primer and others they didn't.

Does anyone have any good pics of an original mount with original paint? I tried looking on the internet and most MG34 mounts are re-painted.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 52
Thank you

I stumbled accross that site earlier this afternoon. It has some good info, I have used it for identifying MP40 slings and I totally forgot that he was working an a Laffete section.

Your title says, "not nice, but mine". I disagree. I like it.

I have been researching Lafette tripods recently, I wouldn't "throw yours out of bed for eating crackers" as they say.

Sarco has postwar Yugo Lafettes with NO optic mount block for under $600, I will likely end up with one of those until I find a better one. I absolutely do want optics on mine, when I get one. Not sure if the non-optic option is reversible, I am not familiar enough with these tripods to know if non-optic variants are legit WWII production.

Jeff

Your title says, "not nice, but mine". I disagree. I like it.

I have been researching Lafette tripods recently, I wouldn't "throw yours out of bed for eating crackers" as they say.

Sarco has postwar Yugo Lafettes with NO optic mount block for under $600, I will likely end up with one of those until I find a better one. I absolutely do want optics on mine, when I get one. Not sure if the non-optic option is reversible, I am not familiar enough with these tripods to know if non-optic variants are legit WWII production.

Jeff

I would love a scope for the mount, but now I need to save another $1500-2500 and I have my monies commited else where at the moment. I will need to post pics, I did end up re-finishing that mount in Panzer Grey and it look pretty sharp. It only had less than 2% original paint underneath, so I didn't mind stripping the mount.

Hessian Antiques and IMA sell MG42 Lafette mounts for around the $800-1200 mark and Sarco used to have several in various conditions.

I have seen period photos of the MG's being used sans the optics, but I forget whether they still had the mount and were just minus the optics. I know that the bolt box was adapted to the mount later in the war and several original mounts will not have the bolt box.

They are neat and provide greater accuracy. I took mine to the range and shooting semi-auto with no tracers I was able to hit a barrel at 200 yards after only 2-3 shots for zeroing.

MG34 mount/optics

Here is a picture of my rig. Mount is 1943 dated, MG34 1944. I recently rebuilt the mount with new original WW2 springs and it made quite a difference. JH

Attachments

• MG34 mount.jpg
    MG34 mount.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 37
Here are pics of the mount once finished. Over the winter I will probably replace the post-war canvas pads with period correct looking leather pads or at least make waffen meister replacement pads in zelt bahn cammo.

I also need to find the money for a nice set of Optic for the mount. One piece at a time....

I am also searching for an original or repro Double Drum top cover (One that accepts the MG15 styled 75 round magazines).

There used to be a few originals and repros around, but I have only seen one original lately and it sold quickly and was rather dear.

Attachments

• 235.jpg
    235.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 236.jpg
    236.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 237.jpg
    237.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 20
Here are some more pics. Mixed maker so originally a full Yugo re-furb which explains only 2% remaining German paint.

Nevertheless, nice to save an MG34 mount as so many were lost or converted to MG42 mounts.

Attachments

• 226.jpg
    226.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 233.jpg
    233.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 234.jpg
    234.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 232.jpg
    232.jpg