Third Party Press

The future of collecting

Caesar1

I read this thread and it made me think that the more people get burned (about 90% of stories I here consist of this) trying to collect WW2 militaria the more the entire hobby will just disappear. I read about people who have been doing it for years getting out because of all the fakes, crooked dealers and general mistrust. I tried to start collecting helmets and the only two I purchased left me uneasy!

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515187&page=4

Not all militaria's difficult to collect. Original German helmets just happen to be one of the more difficult items to dive into. Just consider all the helmets you buy the best repro ever and don't worry about it. When you start spending thousands, that's when you really need to have your p's and q's in order. I have a few original German helmets, but they have new paint jobs and liners. That's the way I like them. German rifles, I don't look for deals on the net, I just lead with my wallet when I have the money and buy from guys on this forum that I know.

They do a good job on some of these for the price.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN5471sss.jpg
    DSCN5471sss.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 375
I understand and share your anxiety, especially when it comes to helmets. Just get all of the opinions you can by the people you trust the most. Also, don't buy anything that you yourself are not 100% comfortable with no matter how cool it might seem. Or you can always model-railroad instead of collecting german militaria. I've thought about this myself actually haha.

Books help too. Lots of them. Getting a fine eye for detail, construction method, materials, colors, hardware, etc. also helps. I'm quite certain there are some repro ww2 German or GI uniforms and equipment that may make me pause, but when I'm on the fence about an item, if the price is right I don't worry. How much would this item cost if it is the perfect repro? Probably close to the price of an original in most cases. Take At The Front for example. Some of their repro gear is incredible, and it costs the same as a mint original. Overpaint (camo, factory jobs) German helmets make me nervous. If it costs more than $500 I usually won't even take a second look. Just never got the knack for studying paint aging. Factory single decal army and luft helmets aren't too hard to spot. Plus, they're not expensive compared to ss and camo helmets. But this is all opinion of course.

These will be originals 20 years from now.......:barf:

what jack944 said.

I am about done collecting collecting myself.

Just one more BCD45 to get (which aint gonna happen), one more firing Pin ( 42 coded armorers), one more bolt body ( e/ 63- S/42), and one more stock ( KM ,e/135),,and then its over.

I quit last year then came across a german sport model last sunday and offered to buy it with out flinching .. :facepalm:

I have quit collecting 3rd R items many times, been burned ( no cloth or badges= we dont need no stinking badges). I only buy firearms now, helmets out of the woodwork same as tunics ( only ever found two in 27 yrs of collecting ), do not trust dealers to save my a$$ ( what I have is junk and theirs is gold ) I despise 95% of them. Occasionally I get rid of some stuff, I have learned I do not have enough room. I will probably always keep buying stuff though the thrill of what is out there. Here is a pic of alot of what I have found last year. All finds. My opinion.
GR

Attachments

• 12 31 10.jpg
    12 31 10.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 159
Good year

I have quit collecting 3rd R items many times, been burned ( no cloth or badges= we dont need no stinking badges). I only buy firearms now, helmets out of the woodwork same as tunics ( only ever found two in 27 yrs of collecting ), do not trust dealers to save my a$$ ( what I have is junk and theirs is gold ) I despise 95% of them. Occasionally I get rid of some stuff, I have learned I do not have enough room. I will probably always keep buying stuff though the thrill of what is out there. Here is a pic of alot of what I have found last year. All finds. My opinion.
GR

That is a good year for anyone :happy0180:

I think many of us I have been burnt, I know I have. Luckily not with any expensive items, just smaller items.

The more I learn from books and forums the better I am at picking up fakes. Sadly the 'fakers' pay attention to the books and forums as well.

Usually if I have doubts I post pics on forums and get the opinions of more experienced collectors. I am relatively young in this field and have much to learn.

You get to know which dealers are better than others and which forum members are good to deal with. Everyone can't know everything about WWII items, especially when production varied on similar items.

Many items were also made on WWII equipement post war, which makes collecting even more difficult, especially in regards to MP44 accesories. I would like to know someone that could clearly identify the difference between a 1945 MP44 loader and a 1949 STG44 loader. Sometimes you need to trust your wallets gut feeling.

The hobby has some dishonest people in it that guide it and censored forums that support dishonest activity, or look the other way.

Last edited:
Helmets for Sale in picture you have posted

Ebay is Damn Near Giving away helmets
The Militaria Market has Changed
there are Too Many Indian and Chinese Copies
and the Russians/Ukrainians are digging up Burial sites looking for German Military items
Helmets,Shell Casings,Bayonets,etc.

Sorry no, the Luft was sold to a friend here along with 2 of the flags, I just posted to show what determination and lots of looking can find without buying from dealers, you cannot find everything so sometimes you must if it fills a niche. If I don't have it I keep it same as vet pick-up I do not sell those either.

Ebay is Damn Near Giving away helmets
The Militaria Market has Changed
there are Too Many Indian and Chinese Copies
and the Russians/Ukrainians are digging up Burial sites looking for German Military items
Helmets,Shell Casings,Bayonets,etc.

There is lots of good stuff still out there!
I just bought a collection - 5 visors, 9 helmets including 2 spikes, 4 daggers & 2 bayonest, a couple of flags/banners, a 98M Mauser and lots of small stuff.
Yes there were some repros/fakes in the mix, but very few and bought accordingly.
You HAVE to know what you are looking at or you will get had!
Sarge

where to go from here

Hi My interest started as a child when one day while reading Easy Co. (Sgt Rock) in the comics my dad came homr and gave me my first german helmet. It was uphill ever since. But I saw change coming and not for the good. My early studies, before all the books available today have made all the newbies experts (No offense intended) taught me to observe, feel, smell, think and compare. The days of plenty when you could go for coffee and come back and the item was still there. As I built a collection I had always thought of the enjoyment and the freindships I have had. My mentor (A WWll Vet in a tank destroyer in Germany and a first hand collector) had always said to me that goog stuff will always be good but he has since past and didn't live long enough to see the quality of re-pops today. As I started to part out items that I had owned for forty years I was asked if they were authentic. Rather than argue I offered a money back guarantee (No time limit-in original condition-for purchase price). At one time all I had to do was to mention where I got it to make the sale but now my guarantee had to be written in blood. I'm not a defeatist but I'll go with the times and the memories of the two major shows here and the many antique and hobby shops I had spent many a pleasurable afternoon (Not counting money that a working man could well afford) finding that treasure. When I saw an ss camo helmet sell for genuine for an outrageous price after the local experts put their blessing on it and saw the fella that made it laugh, WELL!!!!! Enough for now. Be safe in any future purchases. I hope the future gets brighter. P.S. Remember the days when you hit every red light in traffic going scrounging and every green light goimg home so you couldn't finger your new find on the front seat.

Last edited:
where to go from here

Hi My interest started as a child when one day while reading Easy Co. (Sgt Rock) in the comics my dad came homr and gave me my first german helmet. It was uphill ever since. But I saw change coming and not for the good. My early studies, before all the books available today have made all the newbies experts (No offense intended) taught me to observe, feell, smell, think and compare. The days of plenty when you could go for coffee and come back and the item was still there. As I built a collection I had always thought of the enjoyment and the freindships I have had. My mentor had always said to me that goog stuff will always be good but he has since past and didn't live long enough to see the quality of re-pops today. As I started to part out items that I had owned for forty years I was asked if they were authentic. Rather than argue I offered a money back guarantee (No time limit-in original condition-for purchase price). At one time all I had to do was to mention where I got it to make the sale but now my guarantee had to be written in blood. I'm not a defeatist but I'll go with the times and the memories of the two major shows here and the many antique and hobby shops I had spent many a pleasurable afternoon (Not counting money that a working man could well afford) finding that treasure. When I saw an ss camo helmet sell for genuine for an outrageous price after the local experts put their blessing on it and saw the fella that made it laugh, WELL!!!!! Enough for now. Be safe in any future purchases. I hope the future gets brighter. P.S. Remember the days when you hit every red light in traffic going scrounging and every green light goimg home so you couldn't finger your new find on the front seat.

Ah, yes! Spent alot of time reading good ole' Sgt. Rock, and Sgt. Fury too. They don't make em like that anymore. Unfortunately the militaria market is going down hill too. My collection is way too small because I'm not really interested in repros, and won't pay inflated prices even for things I want. Of course my ideas of "fair prices" were skewed long ago, the days of begging mom to take me to the Army-Navy store to buy another $5 helmet. But hey, $5 was alot to a 10 year old back then, and I even still have some of those helmets!

Military Rifle Journal
Back