Third Party Press

WaA214 proofed K.43 rig

Absolut

Finally came into possession of my first WaA214 proofed original K.43 sniper rig and since it was so extremely nice in conditon, I thought I should also share it with you here.

Having been told that an AC coded G/K43 sniper would only have a WaA359 marked mount, I had wondered if this means this mount was originally on a BCD manufactured rifle? Or can someone just by looking at the markings on this mount tell me which rifle would be correct for this mount?

Attachments

• waa214_01.jpg
    waa214_01.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 70
  • waa214_02.jpg
    waa214_02.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 87
  • waa214_03.jpg
    waa214_03.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 80
  • waa214_04.jpg
    waa214_04.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 86
  • waa214_05.jpg
    waa214_05.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 72
  • waa214_06.jpg
    waa214_06.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 98
  • waa214_07.jpg
    waa214_07.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 92
  • waa214_08.jpg
    waa214_08.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 68
This scope was issued with a rifle built by Berlin Lubecker (coded DUV or QVE).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everything looks fine. I would say the rig was assembled but looks all correct. The mount shows a thorough cleaning as it was probably covered in air rust and now shows a shiny cleaned appearance. The rest of the rig shows none. The scope may be also a tad late for the mount ? I need to look further into that. E/214 mounts have a very dark black oxide finish to them. Very black looking .

As far as what mount is correct for what rifles. As a set rule : e/214 mount is for Duv Qve rifles. e/359 for AC rifles. All correct e/214 rigs show dow scope and for the most part all e/359 mounts show ddx. There is a tiny run of dow's small minute run I have you on 359 and the chances of finding one are so small almost not worth mentioning but, it I don't it will be brought up.. Follow these rules to judge correct matching rigs and you will be safe.

Now, for Bcd and AC early rifles they have a flat scope rail. These used a different mount with NO locking lever. Very rare almost non-existent they are mentioned in Seinich's book not shown Not even sure if Aberdeen had one ?

Anyway if one did exist and a BCD sniper rig was produced it would more than likely have a e/359 mount on it..

I was lucky enough to see a BCD single or 2 digit serial # rifle and it was ALL walther.. E/359 on all the parts. Very clear to me now that Walther set up or assisted with parts prints and tooling to get the BCD operation running. Walther was neck deep in the Nazi party and the rifle was their design. Just as colt did with the 1911 during war time they gave the tooling and prints to other firms to make their product and some parts..

Another thing that always puzzled me was the lack of e/214 mounts. Duv production was high and duv rifles always seemed more avail but mounts are so more scarce ?? I assume not every g43 was mated with a mount ? Even thought the plan was to do so. I think a lot has to do with factory location and occupation and where the US got their paws on walther hence far more walther and e/359 mounts are here in the USA. Where all the e/214 mounts went is anyones guess ?
They don't seem to be in the usa.

As far as price e/214 mounts do bring a slight premium over 359 In the hands of the right person a lot more. Not saying you cant find one cheap if you are lucky or smart.. Hope this all helps.

everything looks fine. I would say the rig was assembled but looks all correct. The mount shows a thorough cleaning as it was probably covered in air rust and now shows a shiny cleaned appearance. The rest of the rig shows none. The scope may be also a tad late for the mount ? I need to look further into that. E/214 mounts have a very dark black oxide finish to them. Very black looking .

As far as what mount is correct for what rifles. As a set rule : e/214 mount is for Duv Qve rifles. e/359 for AC rifles. All correct e/214 rigs show dow scope and for the most part all e/359 mounts show ddx. There is a tiny run of dow's small minute run I have you on 359 and the chances of finding one are so small almost not worth mentioning but, it I don't it will be brought up.. Follow these rules to judge correct matching rigs and you will be safe.

Now, for Bcd and AC early rifles they have a flat scope rail. These used a different mount with NO locking lever. Very rare almost non-existent they are mentioned in Seinich's book not shown Not even sure if Aberdeen had one ?

Anyway if one did exist and a BCD sniper rig was produced it would more than likely have a e/359 mount on it..

I was lucky enough to see a BCD single or 2 digit serial # rifle and it was ALL walther.. E/359 on all the parts. Very clear to me now that Walther set up or assisted with parts prints and tooling to get the BCD operation running. Walther was neck deep in the Nazi party and the rifle was their design. Just as colt did with the 1911 during war time they gave the tooling and prints to other firms to make their product and some parts..

Another thing that always puzzled me was the lack of e/214 mounts. Duv production was high and duv rifles always seemed more avail but mounts are so more scarce ?? I assume not every g43 was mated with a mount ? Even thought the plan was to do so. I think a lot has to do with factory location and occupation and where the US got their paws on walther hence far more walther and e/359 mounts are here in the USA. Where all the e/214 mounts went is anyones guess ?
They don't seem to be in the usa.

As far as price e/214 mounts do bring a slight premium over 359 In the hands of the right person a lot more. Not saying you cant find one cheap if you are lucky or smart.. Hope this all helps.
BLM did not make near as many snipers as Walter (most likely were not supplied with as many mounts). And it was the British who captured the BLM factory. These are two reasons that they are tougher to find. And only 10% of G/K43 snipers were actually snipers. So no, not every G43 was matted with a scope.

I can't speak of the price since it was a set price .. but thanks for the information! The colour is slightly incorrect, since I had it artificially lighted and contrast enlarged.

Many thanks for the information, so there's a new rifle code I need to hunt for! Which year would be most probably correct for this mount?

..."" Now, for Bcd and AC early rifles they have a flat scope rail. These used a different mount with NO locking lever. Very rare almost non-existent they are mentioned in Seinich's book not shown Not even sure if Aberdeen had one ? ""

..... this scope and mount is in several books;... there is no locking lever. it has a "359" stamp, and there is a serial number very faintly etched on the left hand side. in the twentythree hundred range......

scope41053.jpg

Attachments

• test004 023.jpg
    test004 023.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 39
I can't speak of the price since it was a set price .. but thanks for the information! The colour is slightly incorrect, since I had it artificially lighted and contrast enlarged.

Many thanks for the information, so there's a new rifle code I need to hunt for! Which year would be most probably correct for this mount?

Georg, you're going to want to find a late 1944 DUV or a 1945 QVE rifle.

Here is what original 214 mounts look like in color. As Mauser99 pointed out, they have a very dark finish to them. It is still a topic of debate in how exactly they were finished. Some same it's a dark phosphate. Other believe they were blued. Either way, this is how they should look. As pointed out, your mount is original but in has a lot of finish wear in comparison to the bands. Hence why some believe it was assembled. Most likely just the bands were replaced. It didn't take much wear for them to break. As for price, 214 mounts do bring a premium. I'd say on average a complete/original rig in good condition brings around $3,000. Here is where Weaver has one for sale. And he's asking a lot.

http://www.historicalparts.com/ZF4NoSn214.jpg

Hope these pictures help.

214 Mounts

QVE (27).jpg1945 QVE K block (12).jpg12 (12).jpg214 Mounts (5).jpg

359 Mounts (early are dark. Later ones are much lighter in color)
7 (1).JPG5 (1).jpg

Last edited:
..."" Now, for Bcd and AC early rifles they have a flat scope rail. These used a different mount with NO locking lever. Very rare almost non-existent they are mentioned in Seinich's book not shown Not even sure if Aberdeen had one ? ""

..... this scope and mount is in several books;... there is no locking lever. it has a "359" stamp, and there is a serial number very faintly etched on the left hand side. in the twentythree hundred range......

scope41053.jpg

to me this is just a regular mount with locking tab removed. Not a true mount for a ac43 or bcd flat rail rifle. Much better idea than notching the rail on a bcd a bad choice I have seen done on more than one occasion.

to me this is just a regular mount with locking tab removed. Not a true mount for a ac43 or bcd flat rail rifle. Much better idea than notching the rail on a bcd a bad choice I have seen done on more than one occasion.
Actually this mount never had a locking lever. I have seen it in person (if it is the same one). There is no wholes on the bottom for the locking lever. So it is a unique mount. But I doubt that bcd ever made snipers. Possibly for a early ac rifle or possibly a late war mount that was never finished. It's a cool mount and if I remember correctly displays other early features.

My guess is un-finished. why would it have the cut in the front ? The description of the original type was tension rollers If Im saying that correctly ? It didn't have a clamp. The way it was described in Seinich's book.

My guess is un-finished. why would it have the cut in the front ? The description of the original type was tension rollers If Im saying that correctly ? It didn't have a clamp. The way it was described in Seinich's book.

A picture of the bottom of the mount would better answer this question.

I think neither of my unfinished original WaA359 proofed mounts has holes on the bottom. And those originate from the end of WWII. So either way I'd vote for very late or assembled from leftover parts.

Absolut,
Provide me a picture of the bottom of the mount and a close-up of the locking lever pin and I can tell you a time frame for the mount. The discussion on 214 mount finish somewhat misses the mark. The vast majority of 214 mounts were finished with a "black matt paint" that over time and use begins to ware and fade and appear like a phosphate finish and in some instances like a faded bluing. Also, please provide a close-up pic of the serial number. I can not tell if the first digit is a "6" or an "8" as I would like to add your mount to my data base. You have a very nice 214 mount. Thanks for sharing.

Hallo Georg,

this mount is a quite late one, like mdarnell19 wrote it fits best on late duv or qve rifles.

The most of the Guns have been scoped in Factory, so the mounts have the factory acceptance and the guns serial written with a automatic electric engraver (or something) in the same matter. Some mounts have been delivered for use in field for scoping good rifles. These mounts seem to be all WaA 359 accepted and are numbered in differend matter: rifle number, scope number, hammered in numbers and electopencil ...all is possible.

My theory of the scarce WaA 214 mounts in the "West":

Most of the BLM scoped guns have been delivered to the eastern front and get lost in wartime or thereafter ....in eastern germany it was strictly forbidden to have a gun until 1990, exept for the quite few hunters, but there are only very few hunting rifles allowed, so there was no reason to keep a useless mount.

I have exactly one ground dug mount in my collection and this was found near berlin, and this is a (non textbook) WaA 214 marked one.

Viele Grüße, best regards,

Georg

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I´ll try to improve it.

It's now back again on the rifle it was found with ... not matching to it, but at least a DUV44 so correct for this mount. And the rifle is completely unmessed, all matching numbers and never been sanded. Pictures have the serial number digitally removed, in case you were wondering (rifle is in the f-block).

Attachments

• duv44_01.jpg
    duv44_01.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 44
  • duv44_02.jpg
    duv44_02.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 57
  • duv44_04.jpg
    duv44_04.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 40
  • duv44_05.jpg
    duv44_05.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 39
Mount swap ????

Finally came into possession of my first WaA214 proofed original K.43 sniper rig and since it was so extremely nice in conditon, I thought I should also share it with you here.

Having been told that an AC coded G/K43 sniper would only have a WaA359 marked mount, I had wondered if this means this mount was originally on a BCD manufactured rifle? Or can someone just by looking at the markings on this mount tell me which rifle would be correct for this mount?

I may have posted before on this forum,,But I have a DUV made in 1944 F block,:thumbsup: that is 3 digits off the serial number of your mount..Since it is so close to my rifle,Would you care to trade your mount for another 214 mount,,Or a 359,,I own some of each--

Since I bought rifle and mount together I would rather not tear this set apart, and definately not going to seperate scope from mount. I do have one or two spare 359 marked mounts too, hence there is no need from my side for another one of those. And to swap parts over the ocean might also not be the best idea to do.

Military Rifle Journal
Back