Third Party Press

G24t From Auction Arms Revisited

jbburrows

I'm relatively new to the site. I've not posted before, but I greatly enjoy the discussions. Many thanks to you all.

I wanted to share a recent find online. A couple months ago, I remember reading the following thread about a G24(t) that Jackthedog had sold:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?1924-Anybody-here-buy-the-G24T-on-Auction-Arms

(It was notable because I wished that I had seen it on auction. I probably would have been a bidder at that price.)
Anyway, last week while checking on some GB auctions, I ran across the same rifle. It looks like it has had some work done. The GB photos are not that good, but any thoughts on the restoration efforts?

Before: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10213494
After: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232094040

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the AA page won't load, so nothing to compare it to.

The rifle as it LOOKS now is ruined stock wise. Almost looks like it's been washed in oxalic acid - it looks weak and ready to split. The metal looks too good compared to the wood.

So, unless you can load some of the before pictures, my vote is it HAS been messed with, BIG TIME< by someone that has NO idea what to do with wood! And all yours for $2595 = blech!

Wow, they ruined it and are pretending it's like new. :moon: good catch on the listing.

I had stated when this was first posted that it would "clean up nice" and that was a deal. Instead of being cleaned up this rifle was pimped up (i.e., vandalized). I wouldn't own it now. As an aside, that rifle has been in extreme heat, perhaps a home fire where it was in a closet or stored in an area of intense heat, like an attic. Some before and after pics:

Attachments

• AA all r acf6b3b.jpg
    AA all r acf6b3b.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 62
  • GB AR pix026005408.jpg
    GB AR pix026005408.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 60
  • AA r img_1333_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    AA r img_1333_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 67
  • GB top pix100638552.jpg
    GB top pix100638552.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 62
  • img_1337_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    img_1337_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 66
  • GB LS pix282527558.jpg
    GB LS pix282527558.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 64
  • img_1340_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    img_1340_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 52
  • GB floor pix675204890.jpg
    GB floor pix675204890.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 49
  • img_1349_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    img_1349_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 56
  • GB butt pix879788947.jpg
    GB butt pix879788947.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 60
g24t

Stripping and restoring a laminate stock can be a challenge. I have a process I've used and shared that works well. Then there is a forum member here the totally blew me away with his g43 that had a horrid stock and he re-did it and it looked amazing. The stock looks yellow and After striipping it, It should be fully dried and in this case it should of been re-stained and aged. A stock only looks flat new once and then it's gone. I think jack county needs to go back to school !! Plus his asking prices are outragious.:facepalm:

Also, welcolme JB.burrow's...glad to have you along..

Someone overcleaned it, too bad. It had a chance of being a nice rifle, but when you have a shellaced stock like that you have to strip it without messing with the underlying finish. This one was stripped to the bare wood, which makes it look ugly.

g24t

Thanks for your thoughts on this and the other threads. I learn something new every time I log in. AA link should be fixed.

For me, it was a mix of heartbreak and disgust when I saw it. I've been looking for a nice matching G24(t) for a while, and Mark Wiprud's AA sale (Jackthedog) had a lot of potential. I was thinking Easy Off and a dash of cold blue, but my only experience with "restoration" is hand rubbing linseed oil in my M1s. I just wish I had found this on AA back in February. Had I purchased this one in its original state, I would have contacted the forum members for advice on restoration without ruination. That G24(t) deserved to be properly preserved.

Happy Memorial Day.

Then and Now

I had stated when this was first posted that it would "clean up nice" and that was a deal. Instead of being cleaned up this rifle was pimped up (i.e., vandalized). I wouldn't own it now. As an aside, that rifle has been in extreme heat, perhaps a home fire where it was in a closet or stored in an area of intense heat, like an attic. Some before and after pics:

I love the great Then and Now books. Perhaps we should start a rifle book... Great presentation Ham.

Thanks Jack. I'da bought that one at that and a little more. I'da left the varnish on the stock. I would have wiped it good with Howards, hit the metal with bronze wool and ballistol, brushed the dirt dobber nests out the bore and maybe pecarded the sling a bit. Done. I certainly would have bought it to save it from that fate.

I knew the blue under that air rust was nice, but I don't know if that nice. Given the evidence of the extreme wood pimping I think there is a good chance the metal was pimped too. Whatsay y'all?

Hard to say with the pictures that are available, but at first my thought was a reblue.
But after looking at the pics further, I think some oil, bronze wool, and different lighting can give us the metal appearance that the 'after' pics show. So now I'm thinking no on reblue.
Which is even more of a shame given how much the wood had been whammed.

I bid on that rifle on AA and when an earlier owner bought it for close to what JTD sold it for. Liked it then, but as they say now-not so much. JL

NOW the AA pics work for me - yes, I remember that one well! A true shame!!!!!!!!!!

Is Jackcounty "Jack the dog's" name on GB?

Blued - MAYBE - I think it HAS been enhanced SOME.

Stock.... FUBAR

From a $2K rifle to $500 in the wipe of paint stripper or Easy Off!

Thanks Jack. I'da bought that one at that and a little more. I'da left the varnish on the stock. I would have wiped it good with Howards, hit the metal with bronze wool and ballistol, brushed the dirt dobber nests out the bore and maybe pecarded the sling a bit. Done. I certainly would have bought it to save it from that fate.

I knew the blue under that air rust was nice, but I don't know if that nice. Given the evidence of the extreme wood pimping I think there is a good chance the metal was pimped too. Whatsay y'all?

I look at the back receiver bridge and area around 24t marking that should have staining given the rust on it orginally. I have a j block and the striations on the bridge look different than this one. My opinion is reblue.

Lighting does help disguise...as my friend use to say on desperate Friday Nights. "They all look good with lighting..or the lack thereof...

I think reblue as well. This rifle was pimped and vandalized. It was devalued to all except loyal Mitchell's customers. Sadly, an original rifle has been turdified and will now be bobbing about at auctions and dimly lit funshows. We will be able to track it and should to so to discourage what happened.

Last edited:

That sounds about right. Less is more when it comes to these. If he had left it alone it would still be the same. Now? Not so goo. Think of it this way. Those that DO have matching 24t's, yours is just a little more rare tonight than it was before.

NOW the AA pics work for me - yes, I remember that one well! A true shame!!!!!!!!!!

Is Jackcounty "Jack the dog's" name on GB?

Blued - MAYBE - I think it HAS been enhanced SOME.

Stock.... FUBAR

From a $2K rifle to $500 in the wipe of paint stripper or Easy Off!

Definitely a "no" to Jackthedog being Jackcountry on GB. (I don't think he lists on GB.) Jackthedog is a standup guy and would never knowingly pass along garbage without highlighting the problems.

Military Rifle Journal
Back