Third Party Press

Markings on gewehr 98 sniper scopes

Mr Haney

I have guestion for you WW1 98 Gew sniper scopes. Do they all have the rifle serial number on them? And the sufix to?
Or were they assembled with out the serial number? as well.
Regards
Bob

I have 2 Gerard B3x scopes with the ranges on the elevation dials. The one with original mounts has Gew # and letter. The other has half rings and the bottom half of the Charlottenburg address is gone, perhaps when the Gew# was removed and scope was used on a hunting rifle? JL

I have guestion for you WW1 98 Gew sniper scopes. Do they all have the rifle serial number on them? And the sufix to?
Or were they assembled with out the serial number? as well.
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
I know someone who could best answer Your Question is member Amberg he is my friend in Germany You know who I mean . Best Regards

Milirary markings on gew 98 sniper scopes

HEY GUYS
I know what you mean Dave i will drop him a line. There is so little know on this, I have seen a few original Gew sniper rifles With scopes that did not have the rifles serial number on therm. They were correct military scopes but no markings? Unissed scopes that were addes later? Or were issued that way?
My guess is they should have the rifles serial number on the scopes But what do i know?
Regards
Bob

I have never encountered a scharfschutzengewehr scope that was not serialed to the rifle it was mated with. Being these were all hand fit and rarely interchangeable even between same types without fitting is the reason no doubt the germans numbered them to the rifles. So many oddball optically sighted gew98's turned up for obvious reasons early on in the war before a few patterns were more or less standardized , and all I have see were numbered to the rifles.
Post WW1 there was a huge foriegn market for good german optics and no doubt many original scopes got scrubbed and sold off let alone new made with nary a gew number.
Many fake gew98 optically sighted rifles have turned up with pre and postwar scopes and mounting systems with no serialing to the rifles and or obvious recent work. There was an old fellow that did alot of such fraud for a 98k sniper seller here in Ky before the old fella died and the gealer moved his business to colorado. He used to set up at shows in Kentucky and forever hound me about selling him a nice gew98 he wanted to scope up as he had several sets of 1920-30"s commercial scopes w/bases. His work would not fool anyone that did not want to be fooled and I sure was not gonna fed that monster.

The few legitimate ones I have seen have had the rifle SN on the optics. In at least one case the original rifle SN was lined out and a new rifle SN added. Given the institutional nature of the collection where this one was (and is) and the provenance (donated January 1919) I think this was German work and not some fakir's project.

The few legitimate ones I have seen have had the rifle SN on the optics. In at least one case the original rifle SN was lined out and a new rifle SN added. Given the institutional nature of the collection where this one was (and is) and the provenance (donated January 1919) I think this was German work and not some fakir's project.

I would agree with CB and his reply , I have studied and learned a bit about WWI but usually leave this to Collectors with much more Experience than mine , But as to the Gew# being on WWI Sniper Scopes I have tosay all the Originals I have seen do have Gew# or as CB mentioned old # lined out & New Gew# added . Best Regards

All gew sniper scopes numbered to the rifle

Gentleman,
I thank all of you for your time and help In this discussion about if all the WW1 Gew 98 snipers scopes were stamped with the serial number or not.
I will pass then on this scope anf look some wear else..
Best Regards
Robert

Military Rifle Journal
Back