Third Party Press

Erfurt 1917, Period repair

Bob in OHIO

An all-imperial example.

Graf explained to me the "RC" meaning in the receiver and also another
"C/RC" in the wood below the serial number.
Nice walnut, unmessed with example that is all orig/matched.

The period repair makes we wonder about it's service....​

Attachments

• erfurt17.22.jpg
    erfurt17.22.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 112
  • erfurt17.24.jpg
    erfurt17.24.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 107
  • erfurt17.25.jpg
    erfurt17.25.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 103
  • erfurt17.27.jpg
    erfurt17.27.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 124
  • erfurt17.30.jpg
    erfurt17.30.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 103
  • erfurt17.35.jpg
    erfurt17.35.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 124
  • erfurt17.32.jpg
    erfurt17.32.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 97
  • erfurt17.34.jpg
    erfurt17.34.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 96
  • erfurt17.39.jpg
    erfurt17.39.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 114
  • erfurt17.38.jpg
    erfurt17.38.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Same here, as it certainly has been there and looks like it was used, - while this maker-date combination is the highest production of any Modell98 until the nazi era, these 1917 dated rifles in full, unmolested, Imperial condition are not anywhere as common as production totals suggest.

Many obviously stayed in German hands after 1918, many were destroyed during the disarmament programs, and quite a few continued to serve through WWII as evidenced by surviving examples.

In my trends work on the Kar98a, those that are still "Imperial" usually have issues, unrelated to German service, - they were the Imperial era G33/40 back in the day for sportsmen, and a great many were sportered. Those that do not have service issues are often minty or of the appearance of little use.

Anyway, some of the coolest pictures show rifles such as yours in battlefield conditions, and as I speculated with Bob, it could have been in the trenches, or in actual combat, as it does have that appearance.

BTW- Bob, you did a first class job of cleaning it up and it looks wonderful!

Added pictures, I own them both (copyright MRJ- not to be used outside of this forum), - note the rounds in the open breach of the Kar98a at left, and its features (grips) show it was 1916-1918 mfg, - if it had a take down, it would be 1917-1918, probably later than earlier. (grips show up first, take downs very inconsistent until mid-late 1917)

Attachments

• British trench taken.jpg
    British trench taken.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 85
I've got a 1914 Erfurt 98a that for sure was rebuilt wartime...same wood repairs - mine has two of the same nature. As well as some amberg proofed parts serialed to it. Only matching 14 erfurt I have come across so I kept it.

Same here, as it certainly has been there and looks like it was used, - while this maker-date combination is the highest production of any Modell98 until the nazi era, these 1917 dated rifles in full, unmolested, Imperial condition are not anywhere as common as production totals suggest.

Many obviously stayed in German hands after 1918, many were destroyed during the disarmament programs, and quite a few continued to serve through WWII as evidenced by surviving examples.

In my trends work on the Kar98a, those that are still "Imperial" usually have issues, unrelated to German service, - they were the Imperial era G33/40 back in the day for sportsmen, and a great many were sportered. Those that do not have service issues are often minty or of the appearance of little use.

Anyway, some of the coolest pictures show rifles such as yours in battlefield conditions, and as I speculated with Bob, it could have been in the trenches, or in actual combat, as it does have that appearance.

BTW- Bob, you did a first class job of cleaning it up and it looks wonderful!

Added pictures, I own them both (copyright MRJ- not to be used outside of this forum), - note the rounds in the open breach of the Kar98a at left, and its features (grips) show it was 1916-1918 mfg, - if it had a take down, it would be 1917-1918, probably later than earlier. (grips show up first, take downs very inconsistent until mid-late 1917)

Paul ; Any history known behind that trench pic ? - post raid or captured german trench ?.

I will check, but it came out of an album some guy broke up on German ebay quite a few years ago. As I recall it was just glue & some paper on back but I might be wrong.

Paul ; Any history known behind that trench pic ? - post raid or captured german trench ?.

Bill, here is some text at the bottom of the picture, - I will ask CB and Wolfgang to see if they can translate it.

Wolfgang translates this as "British trench shortly after the assault" so not much value there, unfortunately.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back