Third Party Press

Robert's work

S/42

Thunda from down unda
Guys, I just received my order from Robert - a set of HT late war rings, No1 reticle (IF I decide to change, which I doubt), front sunshade (NOT arctic shade - that's next) and a couple saddle screws as spares.

I am simply FLOORED by the quality!!!!!!!! Comparing them to those Ukrainian repros is simply folly - those Ukrainian repros are utter JUNK compared to the craftsmanship Robert puts into these.

Honestly, if I didn't tell you they were made 2 weeks ago, you'd swear they came out of 1945...

I know Robert has some difficulty shipping to the USA because of Obama's ludicrous new laws on imports and the $9 fee the US charges every nation for parcels over 500 grams to cover "security inspection", so IF anyone wants something, and Robert is willing to make it, I am more than happy to be a middle man and send on to the USA (since Australia has no problems on items to the USA unlike Austria)

Now to get these puppies mounted...

The workmanship and quality are excellent like you say. I have one of his HT sets mounted on a K98.

It would make a great video of the HT mounts being machined on the lathe and mill.

I agree, Robert really does phenomenal work. He did a set of late rings for my HT, that back ring was really rough machined, just like a correct latewar one would be, identical. Odd that the fronts stayed more finely finished that late in the war, but the rear rings look like they were made with an extremely dull tool.

Jeff

All these Remarks is Exactly what I have been telling all who have thought about doing a Repro German Sniper for Years . No Comparison Workmanship out there that even comes close to what Robert does .
He is the best I know of . Very Happy to say so also . Best Regards

Just the attention to detail is phenomenal - from the milling work, to the finer details like the roll pin, the PRECISE clicks of the ball bearing detent...

And the blueing - CORRECT for how it should be. Correct degree of sheen and colour, and just that hint of bare metal peaking through the edges.

To the RW stamp on the right side of the rear mount.

Just perfect. Robert, if you read this, words cannot begin to describe the pleasure and satisfaction you brought to me, and as well all others you have helped I am sure!

And Robert included a free rubber eye cup too, as well as a length of the CORRECT soft-solder to finish it (German made, naturally :thumbsup:), which he did not have to.

All these Remarks is Exactly what I have been telling all who have thought about doing a Repro German Sniper for Years . No Comparison Workmanship out there that even comes close to what Robert does .
He is the best I know of . Very Happy to say so also . Best Regards

Not just reproduction snipers Dave, restorations too, like my HT that was missing the scope and rings as you know.

I spent a good deal of time yesterday comparing the rings to good photographs from yourself and some others, and I hazard to say that Roberts work is simply INDISTINGUISHABLE from originals.

Maybe we should christen him Waffenwerke Spielauer :thumbsup:

Just took 'em - uploading soon - just doing some pics of the rescued sniper stock too.

Some pictures of Robert's craftsmanship:

Attachments

• fixed_02.JPG
    fixed_02.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 108
  • fixed_05.JPG
    fixed_05.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 112
  • fixed_07.JPG
    fixed_07.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 102
  • fixed_10.JPG
    fixed_10.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 101
  • fixed_12.JPG
    fixed_12.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 93
  • fixed_13.JPG
    fixed_13.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 91
Here are some I took of a set I think are Roberts, came on a repro high turret I bought. There are subtle differences from originals if you know what to look for, the RW markings are too big for one thing- which is good!

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 48
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 53
Not just reproduction snipers Dave, restorations too, like my HT that was missing the scope and rings as you know.

I spent a good deal of time yesterday comparing the rings to good photographs from yourself and some others, and I hazard to say that Roberts work is simply INDISTINGUISHABLE from originals.

Maybe we should christen him Waffenwerke Spielauer :thumbsup:

Vulch
I have already given him this name many Years back and well deserved in my Opinion . Best Regards

Cad HT Sniper

Hi Vulch

Glad to see you got Roberts rings and that you ordered the right Diameter:laugh: So you are as happy as a dog with 2 dicks now I take it?

Roberts quality of work is exceptional and I must order a HT set one day funds permitting whilst he's still making them. I have a a set of LT rings and bases that I purchased a good few years ago and the quality is superb, does he still do the LT sets? I have a bmj LT with original rings that could do with bases.

Regarding the previous cad scope reticle question, I received a reply from Andrea Rosen of Kahles factory and he can shed no light on why they might have used a crosshair reticle (their No 3 reticle) instead of the normal pointed post and sidebars reticle (Their No 6 reticle Not No 1 reticle as called so by other manufacturers) attached is catalogue scan he sent me.

Last edited:
of all the questions i would have asked is what are the meaning of the secondary numbers on the scope tube!!!!!

later
vaughn

of all the questions i would have asked is what are the meaning of the secondary numbers on the scope tube!!!!!

later
vaughn

A valid question Vaughn and one I asked Kahles a few years ago but I did not get an answer other than the factory records were destroyed during the war. And as you know as well as 3 digit numbers on the thread flange edge of ocular bell some of these scopes have 4 digit numbers on the scope tube bottom on the OG end e.g. 437 over O and 398 over 2 and one 701 on ocular bell but 70 over 1 on tube. So far have not found a repeated number sequence so does not appear to be a factory workers identity but more likely some sort of factory batch numbering. I will though put the question again to Kahles.

If any forum members who have military Kahles H/4 x 60 or cad scopes could add to the mystery and provide scope serial number and number stamped on ocular bell flange and bottom tube might start to mean something?

While not one of Robert's mounts, the Zielsechs did go to him to be refurbed and to have a recoil ring added. It turned out stunningly!

e9d41c85.jpg

Militaria53.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back