Third Party Press

1915 Erfurt kar98

Fred E.

What is the Approximate value of a 100 pct all matching Erfurt? It has a broken firing pin that needs to be replaced. The stock is in good cond with no cracks. Rifle has blackish colored cosmoline all thru it. Bolt has some staining from this gunk and needs though cleaning. Initial cleaning of bore reveals near mint rifleing. I see no import marks on gun. On this forum to see if a k98 ww2 firing pin would work in this rifle & if safe to fire. Also, what might have caused the original firing pin to break? it is missing approx 1/4in from tip of pin. Any info would help, thanks. Fred E.

A truly all matching, unmessed with kar 98a is worth quite a bit. If I had to guess I would say anywhere from $800-$1200 or more. Paul has a much better handle on these, so maybe he will show up to correct me!

As far as the firing pin, a likely cause would be an owner wanting to "make it safe", especially if he had kids who played with it. Break the firing pin, and the kids couldn't hurt anyone or anything unless they bashed them with it. I have a vet bringback ce 44 98k...I got it directly from the vet. He had removed the bolt so his kids could play with it, and lost the whole bolt! That really sucked...

My money would be on intentional breakage at some point....

I agree. Sounds like someone clipped the firing pin to demilitarize it. Kar98s in their original Imperial trim are very scarce since most of them were destroyed, sold to the Turks, or converted by the Nazis. Post some clear, detailed pictures and you can get a much better assessment of its originality and value.

that answer is yes, a k98k firing pin will work in your rifle..Another explanation for the clipped pin is that it was a rifle returned to the states after WW1 ,these rifles and such were handed out to various Veterans Groups and they clipped the pins.

Take care when cleaning; if it hasn't been touched since WWI you may find gas residue on unexposed parts. Wear rubber gloves. If there is gas there it won't kill you but you may get a rash from it if it gets on your skin.

100% original "Imperial" Kar98a are much less common than those that stayed in German hands after 1918, but surprisingly they do not command prices one would expect these days. BiO just bought a rather sweet “Imperial” 1918 Erfurt on the cheap, and it had languished for months on Gun Broker before he took a chance on it.

Many "Imperial" Kar98a encountered today are sporter jobs, I actually have a couple I use today, really nice rifles but chopped stocks- they make incredibly light and handy shooters and I can see why they did this back in the day.

Impossible to say the value of your rifle without pictures, or even if it is "Imperial" as sometimes the difference is subtle, - a bright bolt and the follower is the easiest method, as in almost all cases if the 98a stayed in German hands it will have a notched follower to stop the bolt (Imperial the follower will not stop the bolt), and usually post-1918 will have a blued bolt.

That said, of the wartime Kar98a, 1915 is fairly tough to find (quality "Imperial"), and each year they become slightly easier to find (1915 is harder than 1916, 1916 is harder to find than a 1917 etc...). When I was on the Kar98a kick, before I got hooked on Simson, and now Loewe, I had a devil of a time finding a nice 1915 Erfurt 98a, and never found one I was really thrilled with.

1915 Erfurt

Bolt will close without interruption of the follower. Bolt is not blued, but is heavily stained from cosmoline. Front locking lugs are Minty while rear lug is somewhat rusty. The bolt closes & safety works without issues. My son has my digital camera at school, will post pics in approx 2 weeks.

1915 Erfurt

Saved original firing pin. Finished cleaning gun of all old cosmoline. Bore is as new! Fired approx 25 rnds thru gun, no problems. I own several 98k ww2 rifles that shoot very well at 100yds, my prefered range. This gun at that distance however was not on the target. Looking at the rear sight it starts with a 3, unlike my 98k's starting with a 1. Should I assume the kar98 is sighted for 300yds? Even with intentionally aiming low was unable to hit target. Other than that, gun was fun to shoot & brought interest from club members. Any thoughts?

German military rifles starting with the M71 are sighted in meters, not yards. 1 M = 39.37 ins. What hold are you using?

Erfurt

German military rifles starting with the M71 are sighted in meters, not yards. 1 M = 39.37 ins. What hold are you using?

Started @ 6:00 hold on 100yd sighting target, 5shots nothing. Moved down to bottom of target frame, same thing. Tried various hold same result. Never any problem with 98k mauser, 6:00 hold, in the black, 3" groups. Very puzzling.

Military Rifle Journal
Back