Third Party Press

Question on G33/40

Caesar1

Question on G33/40 (now w/ pics)

There is a small local shop with a G33/40. It looks like the bolt, stock and receiver match. All other parts are un-numbered. It is a DOT with serial # 6330 A. The bore is good but there is little original finish, it has turned to an even brown patina. The price is $1200. I know its hard without pictures but should any other parts match and is that close to a normal price range??

Last edited:
Mine is a DOT41 #5636 (no letter block) and what you have listed are the only parts that are serialed.
Like you said it is hard to judge without seeing it, but if the stock is decent and has not been sanded ir beat to hell and the metal is not too bad, then IMO 1200$ is not too bad.

Does it have a..... Front sight hood?
Cleaning rod?

Dot41

SOUNDS GOOD SO FAR...Remember a 33/40 bolt is numbered on the back of the stem of the bolt handle and will have the alpha suffix. Then have the hollow and flattened bolt knob. All the other parts should void of serial #'s and may have a small 'z' in a circle on them. The stock will be externally numbered with alpha suffix and should be waffenamptd prefusly..It could also have a fingerlaced stock or two piece stock. If its loaded down with all the accesories I'd say go for it. A crapper with mismatched wood just sold for 800. And I remember getting a grand for a mm bolt rifle years back with an extra stock.

got it today, will post pics when I pick it up. Thanks!!

The handguard (internal) and barrel should be numbered as well as the inside of the buttstock. As you brought up we really can't properly comment without quality pics but, based on the description, it sounds OK. If legit without any buggered parts or sanded wood I've seen bolt MM pieces hit $1500. Looking forward to the pics.

Nice! I am anxious to see it... please take a close up of the hood and the end of the cleaning rod as i am curious if you lucked out! the cleaning rods are hard to come by, it is a bit different than a k98 in length and has a slight taper on the end of it.

I LOVE the stock on mine and 33/40's in general. Mine is littered with more super crisp and well defined WAa's, proof marks, and acceptance stamps than i can count!

Either way, it sounds to me like you SCORED!

Well here it is, I ended up getting it for $1k. It has a small piece of wood missing at the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3169.jpg
    IMG_3169.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 84
couple more

Should I try to clean the metal with some 000 steel wool and oil??

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3173.jpg
    IMG_3173.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 51
Well here it is, I ended up getting it for $1k. It has a small piece of wood missing at the rear.

Looks fine. Metal condition is tough but honest. Nice pickup. Rod looks like a 10.5 inch 98k rod, hood is legit.
:thumbsup:

DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL OR ANYTHING , BRONZE OR THE LIKE!
Use soem SS2 on a soft colth and rub other the metal and that is it! Teh SS@ will stop the rust or tarnish from continuing. Keep it the way it is, a wartime used rifle that is 70 plus years old. Ron

Very nice. I'd leave it as it is. outstanding find.

I never did get a G33/40, even back in the days when I was a Czech nut and even ran the Cagedlion website.

I did find an all matching, very nice one, but moved it on to a fellow collector as he was a more dedicated collector of them, but I sometimes wish I had that one in the gun cabinet!

Remember that one, John? Have you talked to malaki lately?

Jeff

Looks fine. Metal condition is tough but honest. Nice pickup. Rod looks like a 10.5 inch 98k rod, hood is legit.
:thumbsup:

+1
Nice score!

You should wrap up that hood and ship it on over to mee! I need one!
Ha ha haaaaa....

Very nice. I'd leave it as it is. outstanding find.

I never did get a G33/40, even back in the days when I was a Czech nut and even ran the Cagedlion website.

I did find an all matching, very nice one, but moved it on to a fellow collector as he was a more dedicated collector of them, but I sometimes wish I had that one in the gun cabinet!

Remember that one, John? Have you talked to malaki lately?

Jeff

Sure do remember that one! As good as it gets. I caught up with Malaki about a month ago. He seems to be doing just fine. Next time I speak with him I'll let him know you were asking. He's not really into this stuf that much anymore.

33/40

I got back to the party late. Nice pic's. Looking at the t.g. screws it's never been apart!! They are peend in place and usually never re-line up or the metal from peening gets torn away. It's a combat rifle thats got some closet rust. 0000ot wool and kroil or pbblaster is my tools of choice. A 100 page thread can be started on the best way to clean it..I wont go any further. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Soem SS2?

DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL OR ANYTHING , BRONZE OR THE LIKE!
Use soem SS2 on a soft colth and rub other the metal and that is it! Teh SS@ will stop the rust or tarnish from continuing. Keep it the way it is, a wartime used rifle that is 70 plus years old. Ron

So what exactly is "soem SS2"???

G33/40

it has a sight hood, cleaning rod and sling

The nprice of this models has gone to the roof I saw one sold in gunbrokers with a cracked hand guard for $1600.00 and another in a gun show in PA with na mismatched bolt for $1200.00. The only place they were serial is were you discribe but the price is good.

First, I apologize for spelling. Maybe it is time for bifocals.
Anyhow, it is SS2 by TDP Industries. It is the best I have ever used. It protects without an oily residue, doesn't hurt wood, leather or plastics.Ron
So what exactly is "soem SS2"???

Attachments

• ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ss2a.jpg
    ss2a.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ss2 can.jpg
    ss2 can.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4
  • ss2 can1.jpg