PDA

View Full Version : K98k with PU scope?

Hambone
07-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Check this out.....period pic from the Bundesarchiv or jacked up photoshop?

S/42
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
It's the 3rd or 4th time I have seen the picture at least. I think it is legit.

Dave wants one :)

mjn
07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
This photograph appears altered. Look at the blurriness of the image over parts of the fingers. Also, to my eye, it looks as if the line of sight of the soldier is too low to be viewing through the scope - I think the original picture probably showed him holding a standard rifle and aiming with standard sights.

Mike

Hambone
07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Mjn, those are my thoughts as well.

Dave Roberts
07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
As far as the Pic being Authentic that is a tough One either way . But I know that the Germans Did some strange field builds I have got one such Pic and one Pu Scope and Mount that was indeed adapted to a SSR Base only problem is I did not get it attached to the Rifle . But on the other hand I do Know of one such Sniper in a Collection that I believe to be PERIOD CORRECT SPECIMEN (were have I heard that saying) :barf:and I will Try to Acquire It for my Collection . (Sorry Guys got off track) I do know of one and I think it is Original Field Armorers Build . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

S/42
07-10-2011, 12:13 AM
As far as the Pic being Authentic that is a tough One either way . But I know that the Germans Did some strange field builds I have got one such Pic and one Pu Scope and Mount that was indeed adapted to a SSR Base only problem is I did not get it attached to the Rifle . But on the other hand I do Know of one such Sniper in a Collection that I believe to be PERIOD CORRECT SPECIMEN (were have I heard that saying) :barf:and I will Try to Acquire It for my Collection . (Sorry Guys got off track) I do know of one and I think it is Original Field Armorers Build . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

I'll have to dig through the 1.5 million WW2 German photos I have (pilfered off eBay for the most part - shame on me), but I am SURE I have another shot of a PU scope on a K98. DEFINITELY got some shots of a PEM and PE mounted to a K98

Winchester Cowboy
07-10-2011, 12:44 AM
That PU really looks Cheap on a Mauser compared to a HT. Like a Chevette and a Cadillac side by side.

Hambone
07-10-2011, 07:24 AM
I've seen other pics like this too, not many, and I may be confusing with a PEM big scope. The lighting and shading look right, but I don't know.

S/42
07-10-2011, 08:41 AM
I analysed the picture in Photoshop (I work with photoshop a LOT) and the blurring, which is homogeneous across both hands AND in a line on the stock to both hands is consistent with someone removing a copyright tag / watermark (as we see on eBay photos all the time) and doing a mediocre job patching it (there are some EXCELLENT filters and plug ins that will do an outstanding job). This was done by hand, poorly, and the blur is there to hide the flaws.

Examining the PU area in high magnification, it shows consistant and proper lighting and shadows, hue, saturation etc.

The photo is real.

mjn
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Real or modified, this soldier exists somewhere besides on our computer screens, either in a period publication or in an original photograph. Just as itís hard to prove a murder without a body, itís hard to prove the scope is legitimate without some evidence of the original copy. This image was sourced from somewhere, and finding that source is the key to determining its authenticity.

Whoever finds the original source wins the crown Ė or how about a $$$ pot? Iíll chip in 5 bucks (Iím cheap).

Mike

S/42
07-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Not THE photo we are all looking for but nevertheless, here's 2 prime examples of German reuse of Soviet items.

The first one clearly shows a PE or PEM on a K98 (I can never remember how to discern which it is), and the second photo - look CAREFULLY - is showing an SVT / Tokarev bayonet on his belt (likely just as a fighting knife)

I am continuing to search for the PU shot...

ditch68
07-11-2011, 01:03 AM
The PEM photo has been around a long time (meaning in collecor circles) I have had that particular photo saved on my harddrive for years. That did certainly happen, and I know of at least ONE legit PEM K98k conversion "in the flesh", so to speak. As for the PU...why not? Not much of a stretch at all.

The watermark explanation is spot on Vulch, wouldn't it be great to see a legit PU K98k sniper? but it would only likely have occurred on the Ostfront, and odds of survival for us to pine over are slim to none for the few built.

But at least one PEM made it, so don't give up hope...and NEVER say never.

Jeff

Southwest
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know of or has seen any field directive documentation regarding instruction for using alternative optics for snipers at the Eastern Front? I would imagine it was done "on the fly" so to speak. Pictures seem to be the best source on the subject, but sometimes it is hard to tell if they are real or not.

Dave, would you have a pic of the SSR/PU setup you have? It would be very interesting to see how the mounts were altered.

(A little off subject and I hope this is OK to post here.) I watched a movie on "Netflix" last night. It was in the Foreign movie instant genre section and the title was "Ambush". The story line was about a Finnish bicycle platoon fighting the Russians early in WWII. Both sides looked like they had semi-correct period arms and equipment. It was cool to see the Finns peddling around with German style helmets. Definitely not a 5 star move, but interesting.

Regards, Al :biggrin1:

( I am very "new" to k98 sniper collecting. I have not posted here before but visit the forum daily. My usual source of information is from a member of this forum I have known quite well for a long time. If I ever post, will try not to ask the same questions that have been answered 1,000 times and are in the archives!)

ditch68
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I am very "new" to k98 sniper collecting. I have not posted here before but visit the forum daily. My usual source of information is from a member of this forum I have known quite well for a long time. If I ever post, will try not to ask the same questions that have been answered 1,000 times and are in the archives!

Ahhh...nice to see you here not lurking, Dad!

Welcome, this is, like I said, the best place for K98k collecting, period.

Jeff

Dave Roberts
07-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Hi Southwest and Welcome .
I will try to get some taken shortly . I have one of the Rifles in the Pic the one with the Russian PEM Scope and Side Rail Mount . Its the Barreled Action , No Doubt it is Original as it was a RC . I also will be trying to work a Trade with the Collector who has the K98 and PU Scope & Mount adapted too it . Best Regards .

Dave Roberts
07-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Here is one pic for now I will get more detailed pics ASAP PU Scope & Mount adapted to fit SSR Base .
More Pics to come . Best Regards

vaughn99
07-13-2011, 11:34 PM
here a wierd one first ever for me at least a SVT looks like a SVT38 by the magazine but has the SVT scope mount system with a PE scope!!!

Southwest
07-15-2011, 05:05 PM
That is extremely interesting Dave. Thank you for posting the pic. I imagine it took some thought determining eye relief, etc.

Regards, Al

8x57JS
08-17-2011, 12:37 AM
This photograph appears altered. Look at the blurriness of the image over parts of the fingers. Also, to my eye, it looks as if the line of sight of the soldier is too low to be viewing through the scope - I think the original picture probably showed him holding a standard rifle and aiming with standard sights.

Mike

That's exactly what I thought when I first looked at the picture.

mauserscope
03-25-2016, 11:57 PM
This should clear up any doubts

Absolut
03-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Well, if they spent this effort to rework a mount and then additionally also engrave it, why would they say "fur" instead of "fŁr", which would be the proper German? Just because it is engraved doesn't mean it is original.