Third Party Press

The Role of Women in the German Military...A Question, Please

Recently I've rekindled interest in WWII history, and have started watching short clips-videos of the last days of the War. Romano-Archives is a big source of info, and I hope that what I am seeing here is original and factual. I think it is, but comments will be welcomed.

My question: I'm seeing in the videos of surrendering German troops occasional photos of women in uniform mixed with the predominately male troops. These women climb up on trucks enroute to surrender points along with the male soldiers, and occasionally even children will be in company. What role did these women play in the German Army? Administrative duties and possibly intel analyist (women are excellent at analytical intel work) I would think. Surely nothing in an actual combat role, right?

Overall the military personnel as well as the civilian population seem to be well fed. I see no evidence of being deprived a good diet even in the final days. Even most of the horses I see pulling wagon loads of surrendering German military personnel are not suffering for want of forage aparently. (I would notice this being the product of the Rural Agricultural South!) So, am I right in assuming that even in the last months of the War that food supplies were at least adequate? Comments and factual sources of info on this subject will be welcomed.

Females were extensively involved in nursing, signals, and secretarial work. My recollection is that all were officially discharged one or two days before the coming into force of the surrender to avoid them being treated as POWs.

Military Rifle Journal
Back