Third Party Press

Types of 8 mm ammo used by snipers ???

Mr Haney

Hi

Is there any favorite types of German ammo that was used by the German snipers ?
I have 5 rds. of B-Patronen .
And I would like to add some more
Thanks
Bob

If I recall correctly Bruno Sutkus mentioned in his book that he preferred pre war ammo. There may have been a mention of Turk (pre war) ammo also.

Heh I was just mulling over this last night, good coincidence. This is what I made notes on, anyone is free to correct or add to.

From multiple books and journals I've read, snipers would always try to get the best quality ammo issued or floating around in the field.
I just also read in the new Matthaus Hetzenauer biography that just released, that it wasn't uncommon to use armor piercing 8mm ammo for punching through armored machine gun nests, and
using tracer ammo for testing ballistic effects at high altitudes.

From senich's book says a specialty produced sniper round 'effect firing s.S patrone" was made later in the war.

Then there was the B-Patrone observation round with it's controversial effects, which you probably know...

The variations page for the 8mm Mauser on wiki says some other ones that had some favoritism with snipers were:

Anschußpatrone "sighting-in" round used for sighting in rifles.

And I personally love any yugo M75 post war stuff I can pick up. :thumbsup:

If I recall correctly Bruno Sutkus mentioned in his book that he preferred pre war ammo. There may have been a mention of Turk (pre war) ammo also.

Good book! Yeah, pre war was his first choice, was his second choice Turk or was it Czech? don't remember. He was adamant about NOT using tracer ammo in combat.

Military Rifle Journal
Back