Third Party Press

GEW 98 value?

bampa

1915 Danzig value?

I have a chance to purchase a 1915 Danzig GEW that is definitely a bringback. It has no import marks, and I have the name and some papers of the soldier who brought it back. It has a duffle cut under the band and, except for an unnumbered cleaning rod and a mismatched bolt, it is all matching down to each screw head. The stock and handguard match, too.

The metal and bore are good to very good in condition, as is the stock except for a half-inch by quarter-inch chip missing near the duffle cut. However, it does have a couple of negatives. The receiver looks like it was in a vise or something -- it has some straight-line marks across it. Also, the rear sight won't slide all the way up -- it goes about two-thirds of the way and gets stuck because some of the indentations that the slide follows are flattened -- looks like they were clamped.

Anyway, it seems GEW prices keep going up, and I am seeking advice on what a fair price would be for this rifle. Thanks in advance for any replies....

Last edited:
From your description, I think $350 is a reasonable price to offer for the gun, but I wouldn't go near $400. A lot of details could make it worth much more or much less and the history of the gun could raise the price for some, but I'd still say $350 is a safe price.

I agree with PM, if the vise marks aren't too terrible, and the stock isn't sanded or too rude, you should be able to avoid loss at $350. Anything more is increasing your risk.

Really without pictures, to get a feel for what you have, it is impossible to give a better value answer. Danzig is not a rare maker, it was the largest manufacturer, they were also as sloppy as Erfurt, lots of c/RC, cruder production, probably one of the few makers that ever shows the barrel code above the wood line... that said, there is something about them, perhaps so little being known about the arsenal, it being as Prussian as Prussian gets, or because of the variations you can find with this maker?

Anyway, Danzig is one of my favorite makers, my favorite state arsenal, but they are not a tough maker-date to find, except in exceptional condition.

Military Rifle Journal
Back