Third Party Press

Opinions on a Helmet?

A friend of mine pointed me towards this helmet and I was looking for some opinions. It's too far for me to drive so I only get the photos supplied by the antique shop. I've been reading up on helmets more since their prices seem to have fallen while 98s were going up. I haven't dared enter the SS minefield but thought that this might be worth the risk.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hello,

The pictures are way to small to give a decent opinion, you need real close ups of the decals.
But I don't like what I see, the SS decal has been damaged exactly at the point where it is easy to detect the fake ones.
Also the decals have some damage, but the shiny paint of the helmet doesn't show any signs of wear (unworn helmets do exist), which is odd.
Original applegreen double decal SS helmets are very expensive helmets, in Europe they tend to sell for + 5000€; if you can buy one for a bargain price, red alert lights should start flashing.
I hope this helps; it doesn't harm to ask for extra picture, high resolution ones with close ups of the decals.

Cheers,
Peter

I would agree with Peter, it does seem suspiscious that the decals have a lot of damage/scrapes but the paint otherwise looks virtually undamaged.

Hard to believe this helmet only seemed to fall on its decals...

As Peter said, better close up high res pics would be helpful....

Way too easy to find very high quality decals, and put them on an otherwise original, but un-decaled helmet, turning a $500 helmet into a $5000 helmet. A good profit margin for the fakers...

Helmet

the green looks right. also the liner looks good and is the right type for a m35 shell.. The decals are the million dollar question..I agree with the others more close ups are needed.
The m35 helemt with no decals in that condition is worth around 5-6 hundred...

If you enlarge the photos you will see,that the decals are out of proportion. If i remember correctly these are early Japanese fake decals.

Regards
Willem

Military Rifle Journal
Back