PDA

View Full Version : M40 Luft s.d. rough finish

mauser99
07-28-2011, 07:17 PM
This is a recent purchase. Nice to find these in this shape.. Not mint but very nice but worn.
It's a semi scarce lid from what I gather. An M40 with a hpk code. I assume a high batch number. I have not gotten into these enough yet to date these things using batch numbers. Of note, if any of you can mention to me the best book out there on stahlhelms.. I dont need a picture book but one with in depth info on shell differences and codes and batch lists. A true reference book.. I will be posting some more lids soon..

mjones
07-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Wayne,

Nice helmet. I have the Ken Niewiarowicz 'Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945 A Modern Study' but it is more of a picture book as you refer to it. However, it is a newer book published 2009. Lot numbers are discussed in Appendix 5.

Mike

jack944
07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
You could sand wood with that one... nice untouched. Nice grill too...:thumbsup:

Ken Niewarowicdzifaiz's book is the best helmet book..

mauser99
07-28-2011, 09:30 PM
I will try to search out the book..Not sure where the best place to buy it is? Is it a Shiffer publication? Anyway, Jack the grill needs a burner and it's a late war sunbeam !!
I did grab a m42 d.d. police at allentown..I will be posting it soon.Along with the other lids I picked up there. This was a mass purchase via the web.

Well, with the help of google I found and ordered the book.. Cant wait to read it !!!! thanks.

Willem V
07-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Fine looking helmet,SE started to use,the hkp code in 1942.On another forum has a hkp stamped M40 luft with the same lotnumber,so that makes two. Perhaps SE started to use the hkp code just for the M42 came in production. Wich date bears your linerband? I shall post my SE M40 luft for review.

Regards
Willem

Hambone
07-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Wayne, that's a great honest helmet. I think I'll probably get the Ken N book as well. Revised edition is recommended? The last helmet book I bought was Baer ;)

mauser99
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I will try to get the date off the band. I dont like to try to bend them if I can help it.. I saw another hkp m40 luft for sale on waf.. Not sure if thats the one you were talking about as it had a different lot number.
H.B. not sure what version I bought ? I hope its the revised edition..

George R.
07-29-2011, 09:36 AM
mauser99 go to page 446-447 when you get your book, disappointing though as there were many breaks in the sequence of production numbers all the way to the 5 digit range, the M-40 se to hkp changed late in that production run, the SE plant no longer made lids as of 1943 so all went to the hkp code after that. I highly recommend the book listed above. GR

Willem V
07-29-2011, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=mauser99 I saw another hkp m40 luft for sale on waf.. Not sure if thats the one you were talking about as it had a different lot number.[/QUOTE]

No thats not the one,the one im reffering too,is on GHW lotnumberlist.

Regards
Willem

mauser99
07-29-2011, 10:08 AM
this one is batch # 12230 so it's quite a bit lower..Im not sure how they run. But I figured I post it up to further discussion and research.