Third Party Press

ND M40 & M42 pics

Wolfsburg

Mauser99's wonderful stahlhelm posts inspired me to post up some pics of my only two examples. Both are typical no-decal examples, with the M42 being in the better condition of the two. They are nothing particularly special, but I think they are pretty decent representatives of typical mid-/late-war helmets.

The M40 is a Q64, lot number DN519 and the M42 is a EF64, lot number 5151.

I do find the variation in paint color and texture to be interesting.

The M40 was bought from the estate of a veteran who, if I recall correctly, fought in the Huertgen forest but I know little else. He didn't want to speak about the circumstances of how he got the helmet. Unfortunately rodents got ahold of the liner and the outer ring and chin strap bales have been removed. No clue why or when this was done. It is also initialed "A.O".

I'm attracted to the no-decal helmets as I've often heard, half-jokingly, that they are a dying breed as fake decals continue to be added to them by humpers.

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

Cool helmets Wolfsburg, thanks for posting them. I like NDs and overpaints as well.

Thanks gents! The chinstrap markings are hard to read but it appears to be R. EHRHARDT POESSNECK , which I've heard is actually a fake marking. I'm not clear if there are originals from this maker or if this is a completely fictitious marking. The strap certainly seems old but I know little about them. I guess I need to take better pics of this one and get some answers about it.

Last edited:
Wolf, the strap fakers in Cz. copied the markings of known originals. Looking at your strap it looks 100% legit from what I see.

Military Rifle Journal
Back