Third Party Press

Interesting Gew98m shortened to a K98

JGPrince

Registered
Hello all,

First post here, but I'm seeking information on a rather interesting rifle I picked up for $350. It is a 1915 dated DWM Gewehr 98, marked with the 1920 permission stamp and a triangle above the 1920 (I have no idea what the triangle means, any help along those lines would be appreciated!), then in the 1920s/1930s rebarreled with a new Gew98m barrel, complete with 98k front sights. As if not cool enough, the barrel was then shortened to 98k style, with the original barrel turned down to accept a Gew 98 style front sight base, NOT a K98 sight base. The quality of the job is remarkable, and was done long ago as the bluing is very old, so I am of the opinion this was a proper conversion, not a bubba-style hackjob. What I don't know, is who did it. The rifle is in a laminated 98k stock, and the mismatched hardware has Waffenampts, but there are no Nazi markings on the barreled action. The bolt mismatches as well, and is actually a Kar98A bolt, complete with checkering under the bolt knob. The rifle also came with a cleaning rod and an Israeli sling.

Any information you can give me would be appreciated! I'm currently going through Mauser Rifles of the World, but as of yet can find no information on shortened Gew 98s, only rebarreled ones. Pictures are below, and some compare it with my Turkish-issue 1917 dated Waffenfabrik Mauser Obendorf Gewehr 98.

Thanks!

Attachments

• K98receiver.jpg
    K98receiver.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 112
  • K98serial2.JPG
    K98serial2.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 91
  • K98muzzle3.JPG
    K98muzzle3.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 73
  • K98muzzlesteps.jpg
    K98muzzlesteps.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 82
  • K98sightbase.JPG
    K98sightbase.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 65
  • K98stnmarking1.JPG
    K98stnmarking1.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 69
  • K98withG98.jpg
    K98withG98.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 78
  • K98G98steps.jpg
    K98G98steps.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 64
  • K98stnmarking2.JPG
    K98stnmarking2.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 58
Welcome to the forum, I saw this rifle at auction and your discussions on Gunboards, but I see you took the step to do more images of relevant parts. Can you do more images of the barrel markings? The right receiver? Any and all markings on the barrel and receiver?

Regarding the 1920 stamp, it is not a permission stamp, has nothing to with the IAMCC or any Entente organization or effort. It is a property marking to differentiate government property from stolen government property during the efforts to get military weapons out of the hands of the mob (civilians) causing chaos in Germany. Means nothing more. (The IAMCC role is greatly exaggerated in today's "history books" - it was a small force, never numbering many men and was largely restricted to Berlin much of its existence...)

Anyway, do some more images, especially of the eagle and letters on the bottom. (clear sharp ones if possible)

Hello all,

First post here, but I'm seeking information on a rather interesting rifle I picked up for $350. It is a 1915 dated DWM Gewehr 98, marked with the 1920 permission stamp and a triangle above the 1920 (I have no idea what the triangle means, any help along those lines would be appreciated!), then in the 1920s/1930s rebarreled with a new Gew98m barrel, complete with 98k front sights. As if not cool enough, the barrel was then shortened to 98k style, with the original barrel turned down to accept a Gew 98 style front sight base, NOT a K98 sight base. The quality of the job is remarkable, and was done long ago as the bluing is very old, so I am of the opinion this was a proper conversion, not a bubba-style hackjob. What I don't know, is who did it. The rifle is in a laminated 98k stock, and the mismatched hardware has Waffenampts, but there are no Nazi markings on the barreled action. The bolt mismatches as well, and is actually a Kar98A bolt, complete with checkering under the bolt knob. The rifle also came with a cleaning rod and an Israeli sling.

Any information you can give me would be appreciated! I'm currently going through Mauser Rifles of the World, but as of yet can find no information on shortened Gew 98s, only rebarreled ones. Pictures are below, and some compare it with my Turkish-issue 1917 dated Waffenfabrik Mauser Obendorf Gewehr 98.

Thanks!

Military Rifle Journal
Back