Third Party Press

CXN bakelite Dienstglas 6x30

mauser99

Here is my newest find..These arent super rare just very scarce. More scarce to find un-fogged and not broken. The first set I bought were repaired and the adjustments didnt work and were as foggy as a morning on cape cod. This time I struck pay dirt.. These are crystal clear with only a few black specs. Adjustments are smooth and work. The hinges are crack free and move nicely. Even has the original neck strap and it's still soft !!! I'm a happy boy.:biggrin1:

Of note, I wanted to try to show how the two halfs are held together with spanner type scews. The rear screw has the blue triangle for cold weather conditions. The front screw has the serial # of the glasses stamped on it. As no stamping could be done into the bakelite. These were issued in a prestoff case not a bakelite case as the metal ones were. Go figure?
The cases are generally coded CXN4 and were made by Busch as well..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 31
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Whoaa

Sweet pair that I have been looking for. They are hard to get. My buddy Miles sold a pair several months ago that I should have bought. Nice catch...:thumbsup:

Nice Nice Nice!

Amazing that these have survived in this condition, no major cracking in the bakelite... too cool. I can imagine how many of these were just trashed during the war, just wearing them around your neck and having to dive to the ground I can just hear the crunch as they crack... Great piece of history. Is there any date code or number on these?

???

They were made in 1944 and there is a serial range. I have to contact a guy on the waf forum who is the bino guru. There is some mention of these in weaver's book on Kunstoffe.
They arent dated but the cases are. CXN4 for 1944. One thing they did is added two sets of strap holder loops. I assume to take the strain off the single loop.

Last edited:
Great looking pair of binoculars! For some reason, I really like 6 x 30's. Ron

Last edited:
disected ! cxn's

here is a rare view of a set dissassembled.. Dont try this at home..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
Wow looks as if I have got some Competition here at the K98K Forum for CXN Binos I too want a set So let the Search begin and may the Best Collector Win . Anyone Know were a set is For Sale . LOL!!!!!!! Seriously Guys Good Luck on Your Search for a Pair . Best Regards

Wow, Wayne that's a great find. I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of those, probably 25 years ago at a small militaria show. Rare binos for sure. Pic stickied.

correct cases...

here are a couple samples of what the correct case for these bino's look like. I have also seen them in a tan color. If you have a case like this let me know..Thx.

On the black case you can clearly see the cxn 4 stampings in the faux leather..

Attachments

• $(KGrHqUOKi0E3G+DF3EfBN8NYtlyG!~~0_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKi0E3G+DF3EfBN8NYtlyG!~~0_12.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 21
  • WW2GerBino001.jpg
    WW2GerBino001.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 21
  • WW2GerBino002.jpg
    WW2GerBino002.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 17
Sweet pair that I have been looking for. They are hard to get. My buddy Miles sold a pair several months ago that I should have bought. Nice catch...:thumbsup:

yes you should have ...Ive been lucky enough to have two sets...both in black cases though...I love the all tan type

Thanks for posting. I collect binos as well, and this is simply my "holy grail" for that world. I love the Prestoff cases for them, also.

I actually came really close once...another member (you know who you are, probably... :) Mr Miles... ) here offered me a set, knowing how bad I wanted one, and I just didn't have the money at the time. It was right when I was buying my first HT sniper, so I was hopeless for getting any cash together.

I hope I can find a set, even a crappy one...I missed a set that was broken that had been glued by only hours at a really low price a while back.

Interestingly, I saw most of a 1960's movie on the History channel recently about Czech partisans involved in the Reynard Heidrich assasination and the British training, etc... in one scene where they are holed up in a basement, some Czech Nazi collaborator is outside with a set of binos...

Bakelite cxn. Yes, in a movie. Go figure.

I bet those are wasted now, some prophouse had no idea what they were, likely thought they were latewar junk like everyone thought Kriegsmodells were back then.

Wow.

Jeff

I've had a mint set of these for 25+ years. Unfortunately I didn't get a case.
They look good in my bino collection.
Sarge

Been 2 sets of cxn bakelites on eBay in the last 2 weeks. One went for a little over $580 (and with significant collimation problems!), anther is still running.

I'd love a pair, but just too much for me. I'll have to settle on an earlier cag set or something :(

ebay.

Been 2 sets of cxn bakelites on eBay in the last 2 weeks. One went for a little over $580 (and with significant collimation problems!), anther is still running.

I'd love a pair, but just too much for me. I'll have to settle on an earlier cag set or something :(

Vulch, the pair that just sold for 950.00 was up on ebay a few weeks back on a buy it now for 199.00 !!! with a bakelite case. Then he flipped the binos and they sold for 958.00 not a bad return

Military Rifle Journal
Back