Third Party Press

Need info on Correct Bolt for Karab.98b.

EmmaGee

Gentlemen, need some expert advice on the correct bolt for a Simpson Karab.98b. The bolt that came with rifle (not matching of course) is only marked on the handle top, 1410a, underside of handle flat with a rather large eagle & W249 (I think, Very Very light), and end of extractor, 10. No other markings anywhere on bolt. Tried to take bolt pics, but camera won't do close ups.

Could experts please comment, and educate me on correct bolts for 98b's such as this one.

Thanks very much,

Wm. Mays

Attachments

• 98bRecRtMrks.jpg
    98bRecRtMrks.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 98bRecLft.jpg
    98bRecLft.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 98bBltHandle.jpg
    98bBltHandle.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 65
  • 98bRecRing.jpg
    98bRecRing.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 98bRec#.jpg
    98bRec#.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 64
98b bolt

well ,the bolt that is in it is the correct type. Just not correctly proofed. Simson used E/6 amd E/76 and one other I think.. Look at the thread I started titled simson 98b. It has clear pic's of a simson bolt..

Reisel pictures are not the greatest; do you have the rifle in hand? Can you do new images of the rifle?

I am most curious of the markings on the barrel and under the receiver? See if your camera can do these markings? That it has the "1920" is very curious, it is not the only one like it, but usually the "1920" is higher on the receiver when it is a property marking. (it certainly is one, Simson was not making rifles in 1920)

As for the bolt, M99 is correct, you will be seeking bolt fairly similar to the 98k in style, but the bolt's bottom flat should have a Simson "dove" style eagle and a e/6 waffenamt under that. They are not easy to find, very expensive if you do find one for sale, but sometimes you can get lucky on them as many can't tell the difference between 98b and 98k or do not think the acceptance patterns matter as to value.

Here is an example, it is typical of your range.

Attachments

• BOLT_PROOF_01a.jpg
    BOLT_PROOF_01a.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 68
Thanks much to Emmagee for the question and SimsonSuhl for the nice bolt photo. As Simson may know from my posting last year on another board, I acquired a very nice Simson 98b barreled action all matching except for a bolt. So far, completely unsuccesful in finding a bolt (or stock). Making do with a properly headspaced Gew98 unnumbered armorer's bolt.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, my camera has decided its electronic life has come to an end, but give me a couple of days and I'll post more detailed pics.

Military Rifle Journal
Back