Third Party Press

Advice needed

B-3-6

I have a Zeiss Zielvier and the brass clamping screw is bent down and to the left. What is the best way to straighten it. It is tight to the scope tube and I don't think I can unthread it. I sure don't want to break it or damage the scope. Thanks for your help in advance. Rich

Remove the Screws from the Turret lift the Turret off . Then You can remove the Locking Screw for Dial . Straighten It and Replace all Parts .Best Regards

Thanks Dave, I have never taken one apart or put one back together. Is it as easy as it sounds? The screw bent once. How concerned do I need to be about breaking it when I bend it back? Can I bend the screw cold or will it require heat? Rich.

In order to make brass more malleable you need to heat the area until it turns red and then allow it to cool before bending. An elderly friend of mine who was a metalworker taught me to quench the brass in water immediately after heating red-hot, but others just let the brass cool down naturally before attempting to bend - I think both ways are acceptable, but people debate which is best. Brass is hardened by hammering it cold, but you wouldn't want to do that with a screw (obviously!).

Mike

I was getting ready to take it apart tonight when I noticed a 1903 Springfield safety assembly tool fit perfectly between the the screw head and the bridge. (I think it's called the bridge) The screw staightened out with only slight pressure. It's a very small diameter but is also very soft. A pleasant surprise.
Vulch, my father spent a year in Townsville in 1942 & 1943. As a child I enjoyed his stories of his time there. He didn't talk as much about New Guinea and the Philippines. Rich

Rich
The Turrets are not to Complicated to take apart or put together , But Glad to hear
that You did not have to all that . The reason I did not mention heating it is if to much
heat is applied to these locking Screws I have seen them melt completely away . They
are small enough were it could be straightened without heat . Best Regards

:thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back