PDA

View Full Version : Some help for a newcomer, please....?

Mike Venturino
08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I was surfing the net and found this site. It seems fascinatingly full of information and I am in need of that.

Last weekend I bought a K98k in a pawnshop. Its got turret bases on it, the little "135" with * on rear base and another "135" after the serial # and another on the floorplate. All numbers are matching except for a 377 on the stock. Condition is fair to good with nice bore. No import marks on it.

I bought this rifle for shooting not collecting and from Law's and Senich's books I've gotten some basic background of turret K98k rifles but I can't determine if this is a "high turret" or "low turret".

What I aim to do is get some reproduction rings - perhaps from Accumount - the split variety. And then put in a one inch tube American scope so I can check out basic accuracy. That way I can be shooting it and perhaps along the way find a proper scope/mount to fit it.

Can anyone tell me how to determine whether its a high or low turret system and if it is will Accumounts rings work in it?

Thanks
Mike Venturino

Bigdibbs88
08-22-2011, 08:43 PM
98 snipers are a sea of fakes. yours sounds promising so far. a picture is worth a thousand words ...

ditch68
08-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I agree, post some photos.

I doubt the Accumounts split rings will engage original bases properly, though they might. I have never had a set, so I'm not sure.

Get some pics up, and get ready for the barrage of offers to purchase it for cheap if it is real! It is potentially worth more than you may think, however. Be wary of lowball offers via PM, etc. I'd love to make you an offer myself if I hadn't tapped out my hobby fund!

Hold out and let's see what you have. If a low turret, it is more desireable than HT in my opinion. It is a Mauser Oberndorf for sure, but we can tell you a lot more about it if we can see even a couple simple pics.

What you described- walking into a gun shop and finding a K98k turret mont sniper on the used rack is pretty much my greatest dream. Congrats, I doubt it will ever happen to me!!

Jeff

Mike Venturino
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for a couple of quick replies. I'll get some photos up in a couple of days or so. My wife is the photographer in this house so I'll have to meet her schedule. I've been building a "shooting collection" of WW2 firearms so this isn't my first K98k but it sure would be nice to see how well an original "sniper" (if it is one) was capable of shooting.

Thanks
MLV

PS: Pawn shop - not gun store.

S/42
08-22-2011, 09:22 PM
I was told by John of Accumounts that more than likely his rings will NOT fit original turret bases, so should not be used - he told me NOT to buy them - an honest seller indeed!

Hold out and let's see the rifle. It's potentially VERY valuable, easily into the mid-4 figures IF GENUINE, possibly more.

Mike Venturino
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
After a bit more searching I did find one # that doesn't match. The barrel band is number 221 which is not part of the serial #. Did the trigger guard screws still have serial numbers by the time of this rifle? My Sauer & Son 1937 K98k guard screws have numbers and so do the ones of my K98k/Zf41. Its code is "ar 42" and the one actually shown on page 88 of Law's "Sniper Variations" book. The front guard screw on this new rifle has a number that I can't quite make out and the rear one is blank.

That's bad news about Accumounts rings not fitting. Thanks though for the info. Perhaps this isn't going to be the shooter I envisioned when buying. I will post photos in the near future.

MLv

Dave Roberts
08-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I am looking forward to seeing the Pics . Please get good Pics of Both Bases and Rec Proofs get pics from all sides and Inside of Front Base also have it showing Slots inside . Does the Butt Plate have Checkering or Smooth . Get Pics of this also More Pics the Better . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

mto7464
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Are you the writer nicknamed Duke?

Mike Venturino
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes that's me. Hopefully tonight I can get some photos of this rifle posted and at least find out if its a high or low turret job, so I can proceed one way or the other.

Thanks
MLV

mto7464
08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
My buddy Larry B. shot with you at Ratone (spelling) He had a good time his son got first in his class.

Love to see some pics, I've heard your wwii collection is really growing.