Third Party Press

Question about markings on a Scoped BYF 43

n901wa

Hi All,
Newbe Question about a Scoped BYF 43 I jus bought. The Rifle is all matched S/N but the scope has a different SN and is missing the sun shield ( Anyone seen for for sale? ) Its currently in CA 10 day Jail before I can get more Pictures. I got 2 questions on the stock there is a Circle with a R in it and a Y kind of markings above it. The second question is on the Left side on the barrel under the eyepiece is a ( SZZ ) . Do you guys have any idea what those are? I looked in the 4 Karabiner books, and didn't find it.
I will try and attach some pictures ( sorry first time and I hope this works ).
Thanks in advance for any help, Darren
20180301_131932_resized.jpg
20180301_131919.jpg
20180301_134834_resized.jpg
20180301_131914.jpg

I've seen that Circle RY stock marking before, I believe it's a Yugo rebuild marking (might be another Eastern Block country, not 100% sure). It isn't WW2 German - the stock isn't the original either, the cutout for the ZF41 rail is not original, so someone might have found a stock from an import for it. The SZZ on the barrel, who knows, maybe someones initials, that isn't something WW2 either - that is why you couldn't find reference to either in the books.

+1 to what Farb said. Your rifle looks to be an original ZF41. But stock is not original to the rifle. And originally your rifle would have had a mount numbered to the rifle. Un-numbered mounts are for late war MO rifles. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Un numered zf41 mounts are not for late war MO rifles ...

An scope mount without rifle serial number on a German sniper rifle , that does not exist , even at the end of the war !

A zf41 or zf4/1 without serial number on mount is only a scope never mounted on a rifle . There where thousands in stock at the end of the war ,after the decision of the Führer to stop production 98K zf41 shortly after mid 1944 , and to devote all efforts to the production of HT 98K at Oberndorf and 98k LSR at Sühl ....

Production charts are very clear about it .

We could also talk about 98k mounted with zf41 bases at Oberndorf end 44, and early 45 without Waa135 on it , but it's another story ....

Thank You All for your help.

Sorry for the late reply, was away. I hope to be able to pick it up today. Thanks Again.

Military Rifle Journal
Back