Third Party Press

IMA dummy MP40 (not parts kit)

ditch68

I Like Bunnies
Guys,

I have been trying to sell a ton of stuff to finance a "dream gun" purchase, and invariably,when you sell, you get trade offers! So I have been offered one of these IMA MP40 dummy guns. I am interested (the trade value is good for me), because I have had an original MP40 sling for a little while, so I guess I need something to display it on, right? (Diseased gun collector logic). Parts kit is too expensive, anyway.

Anyone ever handle one of these, or own one?

My primary questions:

Is the fit and finish as good as everyone says? Interweb reviews are stellar. The guy says the weight is exact, and all metal. I guess the only detractor people talk about is the front sling swivel being not completely correct.

Will these accept original MP40 mags for display? I guess it doesn't matter, as it came with one which he is including.

The only other thing is, how expensive are original bakelite grips and fore ends for MP40s? Sounds like that would make this non-gun almost indiscenable from a real one after some wearing of the finish and some "mother nature" light rust patina...

I'll probably go for it either way, so I will post pics when I have it in hand.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
100_3764.jpgI have one that I use throw around in a military vehicle. With a little creative painting of the plastic parts in order to make them look more like brown Bakelite ( I tried to copy the colors of a pair of P-38 grips) these look and handle pretty well. They are not bad for the price. I don't know what other mags might fit.100_3763.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great!

Well, mine showed up today, I got it in a trade for about $175 in value, and I am very, very happy.

I have to say, it is pretty convincing. Bolt slams shut on trigger pull like the real thing, mag comes out, it likely will acept a real mag. Same weight, feel, and everything else.

Only complaints are, like you say, the black plastic (though some were black bakelite) does not look right, and the resting bar should be bakelite, not metal.

It is even convincing in hand.

I knocked down the dark bluing and am going to "rust" it in the yard to make a patina to the finish.

Great display for the original sling I had.

Jeff

Attachments

• mp40.jpg
    mp40.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 47

Military Rifle Journal
Back