Third Party Press

Need Help Idenitifying Mauser-Werk A.G. Obendorf 22LR

strat78

Hi, I recently aquired a Mauser 22LR which was in very rough shape, stock was VERY poor and the metal was filthy.. I ended up refinishing the stock, cleaning up the metal and bore which looks like BRAND new, the bore looks so clean now that it's hard to believe it's old.. It's a very fine shooting rifle, It surprised me beyond belief. I need some help identifying exactly what it is, year, etc.. Here are some photos I tried to take of the markings. Thanks in advance!

M2.jpg

M1.jpg

m10.jpg

M9.jpg

M8.jpg

M4.jpg

M3.jpg

M5.jpg

MO Rifle

The rifle is a DSM-34 and about 1935, maybe. The moderators can probably fine tune the dating. Some condition issues, but still could be an enjoyable shooter! Also appears to have British proofs?

Last edited:
Aeisir, i looked up the DSM-34 and the stock does not look like mine. I should have taken a photo of the full stock.. mine doesn't have the full forestock toward the muzzle.. Maybe it isn't a DSM-34 ?? also what exactly do you mean about British Proofs?

Mauser dsm 34

IT'S a dsm-34. it says german sportsmodell right on the side. sling and take down disc hole have been filled. stock sporterized. I'm going later on the date than Dan. 5 didgit serial high extracter inn the 30k range would be 38ish ? What you have is a nice plinker. The receiver was also drilled and tapped by bubba. British proofs indicate a stay in that country. Along with caliber stamp. Id say its been around..

thanks for the info guys.. Yes there was a small dovetail mount ontop of the receiver :facepalm: other than that it's a great shooter.. My first 3 shots with it at 50 yards, off a rest clover leafed with regular Winchester bulk ammo.. couldn't believe it! my browning 22lr with match grade ammo doesn't shoot as good.. It's been around but to me it's still a neat rifle to own..

It's a Post War Modified DSM34

Actually a DSM 36 second variation of Deutsches Sportmodell. And was built as a training rifle subsequent to 1935. The stock has been cut down and altered.

At some time some one adapted a scope to it, hence the block and extra holes.

This one picked up British Proof Marks so passed through a Common Wealth country sometime.

I am sure it does shoot well and enjoy it as such. It's collector value having been negated.

Military Rifle Journal
Back